Hello Everyone !
I was watching some videos, and saw that Unreal is great to work with architecture, but I can not import such as a SketchUp file into Unreal.
The progress of the import, is always 50% or 75% and never pass it.
I am doing something wrong?
Processor: AMD FX 8320 **
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M
HD: 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA)**
Memory: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803 Mhz
Graphics Card: 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (Gigabyte)
S.O : Windows 7
Sorry if there is already a topic like this or is posting in the wrong area. It’s my first post, and I hope from the help of you can solve my problem.
Thanks in advanced
You cannot directly import Sketchup files into Unreal Engine. You either have to export your model as an FBX file and import that into Unreal Engine. But even better is it to export your Sketchup model to a 3D program that can help you clean up the model for Unreal Engine.
Some things you have to do before a model will look ok in Unreal Engine:
- Export your model as an FBX file
- Or if you use Blender 3D as well, there is a great Sketchup extension called Blendup which can help you convert your Sketchup to Blender and make an FBX export from there
- Make sure that all parts are split into quads. Sketchup uses a lot of Ngons which cannot be used in Unreal Engine
- Check your model if all normals are pointing in the right direction
- Create UV maps for your models, this is needed for lighting and texturing. Even add a second UV map to your models for light maps
- If you have large models ( like a house ), split your model up in logical parts and have UV maps for each part, this allows for better use of space in UV maps, which in turn will give you better texture and lighting results
I hope this helps you look in the right direction.