Download

Hello!

Hi, I’m new to the community and unreal. I’m actually new to game engines in general. But I’m studying graphic design and have been working with design programs for about 4 years. Gaming is something I do on the regular, so I thought I would give Unreal a go :slight_smile: Anyway, this thread was intended to introduce myself into the community and to get as much help as I can! :slight_smile: I believe the best place to start would be terrain. I would love to build beautiful terrain, and I have looked into doing height maps. I could use all the advice I can get. So, with that being said. What would be the best way to get started with building the terrain? I have looked up some videos on YouTube, and they were a covered the basics but not much to where I could make an entire land. Any tips and tricks that you guys use to create? :slight_smile: thank you for all the advice, its much appreciated.

Welcome!!! :smiley:

-use a combination between world machine (or a similar tool) and the landscape tool
-take a look at some landscapes from epic games → learn tab of the launcher (kite demo, landscape demo,…)
-get used to the UE4 material system → a good material is crucial for a landscape

Some useful links:
basics - Landscape Quick Start Guide | Unreal Engine Documentation
all information - Landscape Outdoor Terrain | Unreal Engine Documentation

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it! :smiley: