Hello. I'm wanting to increase time using Unreal and I'm struggling

A bit of history first. At 18 years of age I played HL and Unreal and really wanted to make games after developers released tools for hobbyists to make their own mods. So from then on I picked up different programming languages and game engines to learn how. Trouble is, for 20 years I have found it much more easier to leave my home and hang outside, either with friends or by myself, and enjoy life outside.
I really do aim to bring my ideas to life. I want to get very sophisticated with engines. If some people can share their stories about going from “bum” to “brave”… a job in game development… or just increasing time learning tools; I would be extremely grateful

Living the way I do is causing misery. Slowly but surely. Procrastination and excuses.

Anyone got some information to share? I look forward to it. thenewkgb.

1 Like

Start wit make som moded maps for games laik example off Pavlov VR download the Pavlov pack on unreal engine make new effects mechanics 2 3 maps get some experience and you come up with some ideas in the meantime + game you want to do as a hobby starts with small things like maps and mods once you get the hang of it you move on to heavier things it’s like you go to the gym and try to lift 360kg on the first day or the first day of mountaineering challenge solo monte everest… you cannot enter the MMA Octagon after 2 months of kung fu
start small

1 Like

Well the trouble with Unreal and my set up… All the Unreal examples are huge in size. Plus the minimum requirements don’t allow for their projects to be opened without extreme slow down. Basically the fan in my computer speeds up to full blast after running a map for a minute… Even when I opened the ContentExamples project, Blueprints level, and set Scalability to Low, Real-time off, Mobile target and Scalable 2D/3D, plus the light to Static. So I thought, that’s it, Unreal is out.

I’m working on staying indoors more, so that problem about “do I really want to” will be answered.

As for learning from example… maybe Unreal is too powerful for me?

there are various engines for making video games but unreal is the easiest to use + the one with the most documentation + it doesn’t require a programming language to use it WIN WIN + is a professional AAA engine you need a decent computer for a AAA product
but you can make a smartphone video game on a laptop with 16 GB ram without too many problems unreal engine the only limitation is the Hardware and don’t get scared or discouraged even you have a $ 30,000 computer you are always limited by the hardware and buyer of the product hardware

1 Like

I’m seeing some nice stuff and some not so nice stuff. Epic may want professionals and ask they buy expensive computers so they can increase their technology. What you are saying in those posts is that Epic are not so interested in people like me. I spent over £1’000 on a PC and it is still not good enough. The smaller games… Well that is very nice of you. But what I’m seeing is maybe Unreal; isn’t the place.
(edit)
Literally I’d be struggling the whole way without experts handing out accessible resources.

good computer is only needed when you have alredy finished a game that runs like a god with basic textures and light and meshes + sounds and only then do you need a decent PC to edit graphics, shadows and lights without graphics it is also easier to set camera deep wit varius effects gamepley movements and general movement felling and you save time working on a light projects that runs fast
it’s like running a marathon with a 50 kg sandbag on your back you can empty the bag do the marathon and before the goal fill the bag with sand or do the whole 40 km marathon wit 50kg off sand on you shoulder or even mor crezzy carry 2 bags of 50 kg

1 Like

legends tell that the PlayStation 1 benefited Japanese videogame publishing houses with special bios version that allows full susse off a PS1…I think today it is even worse

1 Like

Why was Unreal making my fan go hyper when it was only a blueprint level and everything was turned down?

i am dyslexic with attention loss syndrome and stalking paranoia whit middle school as a qualification and ■■■■■■ computer which barely supports VR low ress…and if I can make vidogame whit unreal from Blue prints copying indiscriminately from every possible source… there is no excuse or speech that holds up from my point of view
Joda Star Wars…To do or not to do, there is no try to do…if a wall blocks you, knock the wall down or go around but don’t stop…1 simple rool
if you want to do something possible to do there is nothing and no one that can stop you except yourself…finding an excuse to avoid doing something is the easy way out that never brings anything good poor PC is just an excuse to do nothing

if you are here it means that you have a vision to make a video game because what the market offers sucks welcome to the club now you just have to follow your vision and make a product 20% off a job alredy done!!! you now wat you want is good!!!

1 Like

Data_D_Soong I’m glad you are with us. I spoke on Discord and users recommended I try UE4. I’ve installed 4.27.2 and I’m going to fiddle about getting a mobile game up and running.

I could always use UE5 again and look at my Task Manager to see what’s going on.

A workman always blames his tools, huh?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

be careful to work connected to internet you can find your product licensed by someone else anoter metropolitan legends but learn from the mistakes of others it is never a mistake

1 Like

i am making a VR videogame now 360 body motion allows the use of IMPOSSIBLE gameplay compared to a monitor game but the point you need to now is i have a FPS start blueprint base UN4 expanded bay men wen is over COPYRIGHT and VR and the graphics effects everything else gona be implement at the end when a game is over ready

make a Game cool to play wit new stuff unique gamplays obiectives and rewatds metods after COPYRIGHT and you start a Crowdfunding Saul Goodman stile to pey graphics, history, music, sounds it goes against the general logic dev comunity but it is the most eficentte fast method posibble…

you TARGET is a nice gameplay that you enjoy you want a weapon you make a weapon you want a grenade you make a grenade

onlry a bullet can go slow can go fast be big aor small or explode si can have have a elmetal color it can bounce and divide by bouncing change speed and random trajectory you can also mix them all together and this is only a bullets

1 Like

How to cure your laziness and lack of motivation:

Go get some monotonous job like flipping burgers, food processing etc. Something that forces you to endlessly repeat same task over and over every day. Work there month or two, or unitl you want to puke thinking about going to work.

Then quit and do your game dev or study.

If such braindead future is not scary enough for you, then just give up there is no hope for getting some motivation for you.

There are theories about conscious and unconscious mind. Your conscious mind wants to get doing game dev, but then your unconscious sabotages it, so goal is to show that stubborn unconscious mind what is alternative for rest of your life.

You can only change your habits by convincing that unconscious part.

1 Like

:smile:
I appreciate the help, all of you. I have UE4 installed to reduce the intensity of the engine’s power, and I’m keeping it there until I make my mind up. Like you said @AntiGravity , game development could be the problem. I’ve been excited by developing games a few times, but the rest is more of a chore. The point is to have fun, no?

I’ve ran into problems developing my games and at these times I ask myself, is it worth it?

I’m learning C++ and I made a rock, paper, scissors game. 20 minutes at a time, and I finished it. Also a line drawing program in the console. I’m motivated by these. Which makes me think maybe I’m after different coding exercises other than game development?

@Nawrot … My subconscious is saying I want sophistication and control over a computer. I want to do well. I want a good job. My conscious mind is saying two opposing things which leaves me scattered.

I hope that helps.

Convince it to do what is better for you. :wink:

1 Like

I’ll let this conversation rest now. So long as people see the community helps each other out. Great support. Thanks for all your help.