Hello everyone! Got a few questions :c

Hey, fellas.

So, I’m thinking to drop learning Unity (this isn’t a holywar thread, so please, bear with me) and take up UE4. I like its pricing and the power, but I’ve got a few questions:

• Is it hard to ‘convert’ my mind from thinking in terms of Unity and start using UE?
  • Are there, like, assets for unity - a set of models/textures/whatever, that I can import & use on the go in my project?
  • COuldn’t find much of a tutorials for what I needed (I was looking for a scrolling shooter, like those old nes things, where you drive a plane and fly and shoot things (it’s vertically oriented, from bot to top, not left->right)). Are there many?
  • DO blueprints provide everything I need to completely abstain from coding?

-You should be fine to understand UE4 after using Unity
-Unity doesn’t have much assets, and I don’t know that you can use them. UE4 has a pretty good amount of assets, which you are allowed to use.
-You should be able to do a side scroller like that pretty easily, and I’m pretty sure there’s other people doing the same type of thing
-Blueprints are a replacement for scripts. It’s possible you might find something that you can’t do with Blueprints, but for what you want to do you can do it just fine.

Nice, thank you, guys. Gonna have to wait for others to reply before making up my mind.

By the way, is marketplace items are for sale, like on Asset Store?
I’m just afraid, unlike with unity, I won’t be able to find free ‘assets’ to use in my creation, so I’ll be stuck without anything.

Hi devcor,

Per the Marketplace, it’s still young and growing, but the Unreal team has set a pretty high standard for submissions. This means that the while quantity of offerings is smaller than Unity’s, the assets now available are all at or close to AAA quality and maintained through the current version of the engine (which is quite a step up from Unity’s store).

If you’re unable to find the free assets needed for your project on the UE store, one option would be to download the relevant free Unity assets into the Unity engine, and then export them for use in standard obj or other format (license permitting of course). You might also be able to find acceptable free assets at any number of third party sites, and Blender is a good free alternative if you decide to try your hand at 3D asset creation.

Cheers, and welcome to the community!
-D

Well, about those tutorials… I’ve tried googling ‘unreal engine 4 scrolling shooter tutorial’ and got nada. Couldn’t find almost anything on this type of game, for example.

Atm you will have to combine different tutorials -> as the UE4 is a pretty new engine, not so many tutorials about “special” stuff are available :slight_smile:

So you want to create a sidescroller shooter? (e.g a video of what exactly you would like to create) -> I can post some links that you will need to create something like that