Hell Above

YouTube link: https://youtu.be/rgF0jqHo-ZA

Student Submission: No

Credits to sourced content:
Megascan: Materials & Textures
Replica Studio: Voice Over
Music: Kevin MacLeod

Description:
The scene was inspired by the Netflix series Midnight Mass, the concept of false prophet. Edit and image processing were all completed within UE5. Sound design and music (from Kevin MacLeod) were mixed and merged in Da Vinci Resolve 18, The voice over was done in Replica Studios. All the characters were created in Character Creator 4 and animated in iClone 8 connected to UE5 via Live Link. The church was built entirely with the geometry tools in UE5.

Engine ver: UE5

4 Likes

Neat concept. I liked the voice over from Replica, good use. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you.

Nice work mate. Love it.

1 Like

Greetings @jameslee_films !

Wow! I literally started watching Midnight Mass last night!

I’m intrigued with the modern, minimalist design of the church. The colors are muted so as to denote that the message from the pulpit is where the glory should come from - not golden chalices, silken robes, gaudy medallions, stained glass windows, etc. The light raining down starkly upon the only décor in the church in a space that resembles a coffin serves as a reminder to the congregation that your salvation from punishment comes from God. This, of course, is simply an interpretation, as this may not have been the intended message.

Anyhow, what a striking way to reveal a false prophet! I wasn’t quite expecting this, and that’s what makes it all the sweetest experience. Hell Above is brilliant, and is one of most impressive submissions I have seen thus far!

What are the top three things that you enjoyed in creating this cinematic?

1 Like

Thanks @Get_DOVAH_it , really like your interpretation on the scene, hope that every audience will have their own interpretations.

Top 3 things that I enjoyed in the making;

1. Am glad have picked up UE5, as it allow filmmakers to put their imaginations to work
  2. The lighting and camera systems is a joy to work with, even though learning the sequencers was challenging
  3. Building the church environment and hell scape was fun, something that’ll cost a lot in real life :slightly_smiling_face:
1 Like

Thanks.