Height Blend Material for sphere/planet

Hey guys, so I’m trying to make a procedurally generated planet, and I’ve gotten done with the Geometry, but the UVs are weird (when compared to the sphere). Because the planet is 6 different sections with different materials, you can’t really make a shared material among them, however, I want to do what the person in this post did, but I lack the knowledge to recreate this. Does anyone think they may know whats going on here?

Here’s how my procedural planet/sphere comperes to the default spheres UVs:

Here’s what I want it to look like.

It would be equally nice if anyone would know how to fix the UVs.

I would go for world aligned material, then you don’t need to worry about UVs.

I notice in fact, in the example you quote, that it’s basically world aligned.

1 Like

How would I make a world aligned material that can do that?

When you say ‘that’, do you mean the bumps?

You can use a normal world aligned material ( all over youtube ), and then a world aligned noise texture for the word position offset.

Watch out though, you can’t do world aligned WPO if you’re expecting to move or rotate the planet :slight_smile:

I can’t paste the whole thing here, but the textures aren’t WA in this case, but what I’m saying, is you can do the bumps with world aligned WPO

This is just a sphere with the material on. ( The water is separate ).

I just made this very simple WA material with WA WPO

After some not very careful tuning ( the texture you use for landmass matters ), I got

and… googled around for a better texture

1 Like

No I’m doing the bumps with geometry, I made a procedural mesh using code. I just want to make a material that changes the color/texture depending how far that point is away from the center. For instance, anything that is less than the radius value would be water, while anything above the radius value is land, and if its a certain amount above that land, it would be mountain. I’m not sure how to achieve this with world aligned textures.

Just to double-check. If you use world aligned, you can’t move the planet. Are you ok with that?

That would not be preferable.

Then I think you need to fix your UV problem, unfortunately… :thinking:

Yeah I have no clue how to do that though.

I don’t think you can project the UV inside the material, because any attempt to do that will mean they change as you move the planet around.

Can you make the planet by just distorting a sphere? ( procedurally ).

Maybe try

Got it, hold on… :slight_smile:

Project your UVs using this