Heavily modified MetaHuman character

The MetaHumans are great, but can we take them in a different direction than just looking human? I have experimented a lot on modifying the mesh and textures in the past months.

Here are some showcases on what is actually possible in terms of customization…

All modifications do not affect the setup btw., i.e. all the control rigs and face blendshapes are intact, and you could use these characters like any other metahuman.

I’m going to continue to experiment with how far you can take the modifications, while still getting decent results on the face and body animations.
You can find more screenshots here:

13 Likes

Wow this looks incredible! I am currently looking into how I do this myself as I am hoping to use metahuman to create evil characters. I am currently looking at how to edit the eyes. Do you have any tips or know of any tutorials around this?
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:
You can do a lot with the eyes, even with the native eye shader that comes with the metahumans. If you want to change their size and position, you can do that via blueprint.
What kind of modification do you have in mind? Maybe I can give you some tips or point you to a tutorial…

So to start with I would just like to make the eyes white, or blind looking with a slight emmissive material if possible.
I am trying to create posessed looking characters

Thank you so much

1 Like

Ah, that’s easy. For this you can play around with the settings in the eye material instances. Making them look blind is definitely possible.
In this example I made the sclera very dark, but you can also do the opposite:

Or just simply create your own material and assign it to the eye material slots of the head.

Thanks mate those eyes look incredible, I will have another look now for the life of me I couldn’t find the slots earlier!
I found the metahuman editor to be quite restricted so seeing your post was brilliant

1 Like

Found it, thank you so much, it was quite nested so I could not find it earlier I thought maybe it was locked or pre-compiled somehow!

1 Like

Thanks so much, already got something working,

1 Like

Wohoo! :slight_smile: Looking nice! You can add a multiply node and plug a scalar parameter into B. Then you can control the emission color and intensity directly in the instance. :wink:

Ahh yes of course, I am fairly new to blueprints, I am a c# developer so think blueprints may be easier than C#

For others wanting to know how it was done:

2 Likes

The troll/goblin-looking modifications are amazing! Imagine running around in an MMORPG and you see that specimen. What a dream come true for all the fantasy-genre nerds :joy:

Great job @RealtimeGraphX!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your feedback! :slight_smile:
Yeah the Metahuman technology opens up so many possibilities for games and filmmaking in Unreal. Its really awesome!

2 Likes

Those results are Amazing. I attempted to push MHC for Fantasy Characters without Modifications. This was as far as I could go.

1 Like

Those are really cool! Yes, I suppose you can really push the look of the characters with the out-of-the-box options. At least it’s a great base to start with and then go from there.

Any tutorials on how you modified the ears, teeth, etc?

1 Like

Not a tutorial, but here is a timelapse of one of the characters: How I created this custom metahuman character - Timelapse - YouTube

For the whole modification workflow I am working on a course right now, which is almost finished:
realtimegraphx.gumroad.com/l/fnrfmc

2 Likes

Thank you… will look out for the course

1 Like

@RealtimeGraphX Hi It is great work ,and I also did some test to custom metahuman head in maya and back to unreal engine, some is work well, but this is some problem that the customized head eyelid had dark line when close the eye and there are no darkline on original head , did you have encountered the same problem?

2 Likes

I think its just the shadow. You probably changed the eyelid form in Maya…?