HD Sprite Workflow - Paper 2D

Greetings everyone,

I am coming from CE + DragonBones, which is modified Starling build.

Been eying 4 for some time, new pricing model came out and had to try.
So I am doing a test to see what the turnaround time is on a Paper2D character.

If my target resolution is 1920 by 1080 ( I might go higher if possible if feasible production-wise and framerate-wise ) and my sequences are done in After Effects at 3840 x 2160. Then I redo them in flash at 1800p settings for in game and higher for cutscenes.

Since I’m used to texture atlases and starling rules I had to use dragonbones to split my characters into sheets that had their body parts on them and not the actual moves themselves. There is an XML file that contains the actual x and y translation for the animations since starling sprite sheets can’t be larger than 4096.

All that being said I am not sure how to import big sprites into U4. Should I be saving each frame as an image like the Braid example and bringing them in or should I be saving massive sheets, and if so what is the maximum size I can bring in?

Thanks alot. Engine is great so far.

Ok, so looking at Blueprints book it states that limit is 8,192 x 8,192.

And normally you would use glue it and divide by however many columns you could fit. So in my fla’s the actual fighting character is like 950 x 1600 or so and when scaled down 2x looks good in engine. Since it’s doing the skeletal thing u can go bigger.

Is there a performance issue using big sprites? Or having mebbe each move on a sheet?