Having trouble with UV mapping wooden floor using Floor Generator (LOSING SLEEP!)

Hi guys,

I’m having some serious trouble trying to scale a wooden texture onto a poly I made using floor generator. It should be really simple - but it hasn’t been. And I’ve lost so much sleep over it trying to figure it out the last 3 days - scouring forums and documentation.

What I’ve tried doing is taking a wooden plank texture and cropped individual planks out of the original image and saved them individually so I can then apply them to random boards I made using floor gen in 3ds max - giving a random multi-textured look without the gaps seen in the original image. But I can’t get them to scale properly.
I don’t really want to scale them at all because I created the boards as 130mm x 1000mm in floor generator and was using Photoshop to (try) and save the image size the same size as the original individual board size, thus eliminating any scaling and them being imported and used at their native res.
This has been a total nightmare. I cant even get Unreal to scale the boards remotely to the original size of the board… HELP!

Original Image:

Material Editor:

Individual Board:

Material IDs layout

Mind showing us what it looks like in Unreal? I’m guessing you just don’t have your UVs laid out right for the planks. If that one wooden plank is your texture map (alone) then it gets squashed into the 0-1 space by default. If your plank UVs are squared off into the 0-1 space, it should work fine.

Hmmm, not sure I follow but you need to UV map the texture in 3DS Max first then import into unreal as .fbx so that when you apply say board texture 1 to board 1 it maps correctly.

I just left for work but it doesn’t show any texture in unreal. Just a vague colour the same colour tone as the texture shown.
My UV mapping is a simple “box” type map in max.
I suspected it may have been the UV map at the start but I dont know the correct mapping method I should use.

What mapping method do I use. At the moment I’m using a UVWmap with a box modifier and then a UVWunwrap … No other changes than that.

I’m not a 3ds user but I would think you need to uv map each and every board of the floor with a unique texture. Or you can go into photoshop and create a texture for the entire floor. There’s plenty of uv tutorials on YouTube and most 3d software is basically the same in that regard.

This is the photoshop method:

Do you have your nodes correct in unreal? The texture coordinate value?

Make it a tiling texture in photoshop, UV with planar map then scale it up (so the UV maps move beyond the UV bounds), this way you get a tiling effect. Make a second UV set for the lightmap. Quite simple.

nice
job bro

I IMPORT THESE THREE BOX FROM VARIOUS 3D APPS ( SKETCHUP / 3DSMAX / BLENDER )

1. how i can explode boxes into faces to be able to apply different materials to different faces ?
  2. how i can make shadows neat and clear ? ( i tested in override overridden light map to 2048 and uv lightmap resolution 2048 )

This is how:

1. Select random poly faces in 3Ds Max and apply different material IDs to them. This allows you to assign different materials to different faces based on what ID you set in Max. For a wooden floor, in real life there are different shades and tones, so duplicate your materials and change the colours slightly.

2. I’m not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean shadows on the boards themselves? Or cast by the boards? You shouldn’t really need to go above 1024 unless it’s a massive interior floor.
    I have a big floor, but I split it into three different sections and made the lightmap res lower. Then when you’ve finished modelling everything, play with the world settings and increase quality using "production quality"settings.

I am a bit late to this but hopefully I can help. I work in archviz and I use Unreal. For floor generator meshes you would have to convert the mesh to an editable poly in max, then instead of using the multi texture, make a seperate material for each plank you created and apply it to each plank. Uv map each plank (box map) and get the uv’s like you like, then set the uv’s to map channel 2 so that you have two sets of uv’s. After you have applied your materials to the floor generator object you can export it as one object. As long as you made seperate materials for the planks, (you dont have to use a seperate material for every single plank, just spread out the 4 or 5 planks you made so that it doesn’t look repeated.) when you bring the object into Unreal, it will recognize the different elements and then you can make the same materials in Unreal for each plank and assign them to the different elements. It would take a litte setup time but you could still use the floor generator which is a very beneficial tool for arch viz artist. I hope this helps.