Have a mesh with physics enabled trigger a collision box?

In a project I am working on the player can pick up and move any object that is physics enabled, as long as it is below a certain weight threshold.
Now I would like to be able to use these meshes to trigger certain things (like putting boxes on buttons). The problem I am encountering is that the mesh wont cause the collision box to trigger.
My question is then is this just a issue of me not configuring the collision box correctly, or does the mesh have to be a actor to be able to trigger a collision box?
If the mesh does have to be a actor, what would be the best approach to handling that? The game is going to have a great many different shapes and sizes of meshes, and some of the other systems rely on the mesh being a physics object.
Thanks in advance for any answers.

The problem I am encountering is that
the mesh wont cause the collision box
to trigger.

Have a look at the collision settings of both objects; you can also add additional channels for a very granular interaction:

To be more precise:

• by default, a Trigger Box will overlap a physics object with default settings

• Generation of Overlap Events for physics simulated object is not enabled by default, though; here we enable it:

• this way the Trigger Box volume will detect when a physics object intersects its boundaries