Has Paper2D development stopped?

Let me break it down to you so maybe this time you will understand what i am trying to say

You make a bold statement that 2d games can run easily on PS4.

I asked you a few questions that you did not answer. Let me help you with this and please correct me if i made i mistake.

Are you creating a FULL Paper2d game? No
Are you a PS4 developer?No
Do you have access to the platform to know its limitations? No
Have you released a game on a console that runs 60fps? No
Did i give you an example of a game with fps issues? Yes
Did i try to explain to you that Super Distro would run at 2000fps but Rayman for example ,wouldnt? Yes

And so on, but yet you claim that you know what you are talking about and i have self esteem issues.
This is not a matter who has the biggest … but mere facts. It is very unprofessional and not polite to try to enforce an opinion when that opinion is based on nothing.

This is a game engine forum and not steam that every 12 year old can call GTA5 graphics trash and get away with it.

You are giving the false impression to people that game development is easy, and everyone can run whatever they want on the framerate they want (i am talking about 2d) and you are dissing hard work from devs that tried hard to optimize.

In every post that i have made in all these years i praise Paper2d and its infinite capabilities. And on the same time i give them hell for not fixing something as easy as layers. But UE4 is not hard and complicated for 2d development and it is fast enough to rival competitive engines.And we need more people to adapt it because it is a lot more realistic for an indie to create a 2d game than a 3d one.

Bottom line is that unless you have concrete knowledge on what you are talking about, you should refrain from posting such diminishing statements. And even then, a good professional would try to explain, correct and educate .

I wish you great success in whatever you are working on , and i will support you when you release it.

Cheers.

2D in UE4 was a gimmick.

If EPIC really wanted to support 2d games they would add a new renderer along with other 2d features that every other 2d engine has.

They responded to this long ago stating that 2D is a fully supported engine feature. I just think the VR hype ruined things up with the Paragon getting in the way aswell as they took the 2D developer to help on that game. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to see some more Paper2D progress. I care more about basic features (like fully-supported orthographic camera) and stability.

I’d love to see more Paper2D progress to :slight_smile:

Well drats, after a year or two hiatus on my Paper2D game I thought I’d come back and have all kinds of improvements waiting to greet me. Nope, doesn’t look like a single thing has changed in regards to Paper2D. The terrain splines still seem totally wonky, maybe it’s time I throw in the towel and port it to Unity instead. cries

I hear you. UE4 should stop being a huge-new-feature treadmill and just stop and focus on making what they have actually work.

For example, besides the Paper2D stuff you have mentioned, I personally run into these issues:

• It’s still not possible to produce a tvOS binary that Apple will accept for distribution.
  • Any time I submit an iOS build, Apple yells at me for trying to use the push-notifications framework (I don’t have that enabled in the engine).
  • I can’t build for Android on Windows, only on Mac, due to some weird crash I encounter. (That’s after figuring out that the Android Quickstart instructs you to install a version of Java that won’t work)
  • I can’t get physics to work the same on different platforms and different frame rates.
  • The resulting build size of a blank project is massive.
  • You can’t have a blueprint subclass a blueprint without in-level instances intermittently losing all their data.
  • Version control integration with the engine doesn’t actually work as advertised for git, subversion, or perforce.
  • Orthogonal camera views support only a fraction of rendering features of perspective cameras, and there’s no way to know which features until you discover it yourself.
  • Dialogs left unattended on Mac intermittently cause the Editor to freeze.
  • Context menu tooltips on Mac pop-under the context menus they are for.
  • and there are so…many…crashes.

And I say this as a fan of UE4!!!

I have become very disheartened. The closer I get to distribution on any platform, the more crashes and bugs I experience. UE4 already has a feature list longer than most nation’s populations. Stop adding crazy new features and just FINISH the features that are already supposed to be there and POLISH the engine for a bit!

It would be cool to get an “official” or semi-official response from someone at Epic. Like, we have no plans to add any functionality in 2017… Or, we do, etc.

teak

Epic Games, can we please some information whats Your plan on paper2d plugin? It has been a lot of since the last time You updated the plugin or even mentioned it. I’m in love with developing 2d games. I decided to start my first big project using Your engine. I would like to know if I should abandon this ship before taking further steps in the game development. Also I would like You to know thats the first time I encounter such a taboo and disrespect from creators to their fans.

Hey @Asterat - My advice would be to use creature.

You will have full access to the Unreal Engine Toolset. Paper2D While OK does not have access to some critical tools for more serious games.

Epic just announced a new game with 2D graphics, so hopefully that will push Paper2D development forward.

Finally some good news!
Would you mind sharing some more info about the game or a link to the announcement ?

Sure, I should have done that in the first place: Epic Games Announces Battle Breakers for Mobile and PC - Unreal Engine

Also mobile so that should mean some optimizations for that too.

Sadly it’s not paper2d. it’s taking advantage of umg and 3d meshes(think spline.) Nick Darnel broke the news to us on the discord.

The head has already expressed at this latest GDC that Epic’s focus for the upcoming years is (sadly for me) fully on VR and expansion within other industries alongside game development. There’s really no future for a 2D framework here it seems.
This whole VR/AR thing is really bugging me; I’d like to like the platform, but I do not.

Best thing we can do is just extend any functionality ourselves and do git pushes. Papa Noland’s busy and that’s just the truth of it. If we put in the work, we’ll reap the rewards. I’m down to start a group just for this.

Just out of curiosity, aside from performance, what kind of functionality you guys miss the most in it?

Hello homembarata,

I will try to keep this short and to the point to prevent a wall of text.

Personally speaking I never had any issues with performance. It could be better or even a lot better but I have nothing to compare it to.
For me it works as long as you know what you are doing.

My issues have to do with rendering and workflow(amongst others of course ).

Rendering:
Jitter,flicker and visual artifacts all over my sprites because of the way ue4 paper2d handles neighboring alpha from Texturepacker imports.
Particles do not render so you have no clue what you are doing. Collisions for particles do not work with sprites.

Workflow:
One of my biggest issues with Paper2d.

When you are working 10 hours a day 363 days a year this becomes unbearable.

Locking Layers: Clicking 50 times and moving 10 layers of sprites just to select the one you want is exhausting.
2d UE4 general setting: Every time I open a bp I have to do this: Change camera, set lit. Again, if you do it 5 times it is not a big issue. 60/100 times a day is just too much.
No way to toggle on or off visibility for sprite/flipbook components inside the bp. Good luck trying to click that sprite that is hidden 10 layers below.

This is just a tiny percentage of things that need love but in my opinion these are the most urgent and serious ones. I could add spline support and tilemap support but those do not affect all projects.

I hope that I helped some of you to get a better idea on what is going on

Cheers.

1. I think for most people, we’d enjoy having animation notifies inside the flipbook editor.
  2. Support for Vector Art.
  3. LOD type system which allows for seamless streaming between textures with specific sprite data. or improved mipmap generation for paper2d (usually we’re advised to go with no mipmaps for ue4.)
  4. Better streaming of sprites in general from large atlas textures.
  5. Possible implementation of smart objects for sprite data to retain quality between shrinking/growing sprites.
  6. Improved sprite coloring allowing us to set channels/colors we want to retouch.(possibly with a sprite editting functionality with propagating features for all sprites within the sprite sheet texture.)
  7. Improved Tilemap collision data (Allow us to access the tile we’re colliding or return an event from a colliding tile specifically.)
  8. Improved tileset painting. (Painting non collision flipbooks falls under this and allowing us to create specific material domains on certain parts of a tileset.)

Where should I write if I want reply directly from Epic Games team? I’m quite disappointed how much they don’t care about paper2d community.