Has Paper2D development stopped?

I don’t support kojima worshipers, i don’t think he a genius game designer. He good in marketing and his persona used for marketing, but nothing else.

Hey bud! Why are you trying to make me look bad? :stuck_out_tongue:
I never said engine components are gimmicks (then Paper2d would be a gimmick as you said).
I said that, for example, VR Editing is one of them and the man hours wasted on something so trivial could be spend in something a lot more useful , like giving us Paper2d guys a freaking way to lock layers so we can create levels!
One day i will challenge that dude, Mike Friker ( a genius with the impulse of a 5 year old! XD) to come and work with me for a day, to create multi layer levels with Paper2d.
I can almost taste the salt from his tears coming down his cheek while he rage quits the 25th time he tries to click select one of the assets…!! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

The game is completely different now; even the Agora map have being completely replaced by a kinda ‘meh’ one.
There’s no more Harvesters to collect from and the most fun of the game also is gone, that thing when someone takes the Orb Prime and your team is supposed to kill the guy to not let him deliver, etc…
My brother logged in my acc and played around 30 games he said; he told me almost all of them there was very unbalanced matches as well (people constantly going 0/10/0 or quitting mid game) and then he quit lol
I myself played a lot of matches there, but I just have no time to play anymore.

Yeah I agree with you, it just feels like there’s no personality or character to it, and it’s definitely too slow-paced. But the guy up there said they “rebooted Paragon” leading me to wonder if they had stopped development on it or something of the like.

Yep… Genius and great game engine designers haha.

Well he pretty much always lands whatever game he makes. Whether the game itself is technically genius or not, the fact is his formula works, and people gobble it up. I usually enjoy his games and I don’t adore him or anything so he must be doing something right lol

Your post made me laugh, thanks!

Ahhh alright, that seems a bit sad. Hopefully they’ll stick more to the engine now though :wink:

And currently they are developing Death Stranding right under my nose. :wink:
But in order to “get-in” you need at least 3 AAA titles under your belt :frowning:

Which leads to logical question and the reason why I’m not a fan of hype train around him: Does those games he made really because of a “Kojima genius” or its just because very talented and experience people got together and did their job well with the pretentious(?) guy in upper management, because people ignore the team part completely, but it’s how it looks to me. The whole thing with him and konami, for some reason people frame konami as villain, even if we had ZERO info about what actually happening.

Well, its not directly Kojima Productions, but Guerilla games, responsible for the engine. So I wouldnt work with Kojima, but for him :wink:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12/03/death-stranding-will-run-on-the-decima-engine-developed-by-guerrilla-games

But thats ok. It would have been exciting for me to write the horse-poop framework on MGSV :smiley:

I think Kojima doesnt really have that much influence on Guerilla’s hiring policies.
(Im not sure if Epic would appreciate it if I posted a job offer linke here ??)

Actually, ZERO had all the information… :stuck_out_tongue:
And now the weapon that surpasses Metal Gear is an armoured bipedal Pachinko machine… :frowning:

Should’ve asked this earlier, are there any forum rules against derailing from the thread topic? I like this thread but it’s become unrelated to Paper2D, is that against the forum rules? Since we keep bumping it and stuff LOL

Yeah, I also got the feeling it wandered a bit off topic. :slight_smile:
But since there is not much news to discuss about Paper 2D … :stuck_out_tongue:

May be because Paper2D is pretty much dead and there’s not much to talk about it anymore…

May be because Paper2D is pretty much dead and there’s not much to talk about it anymore…
[/QUOTE]

I know, I don’t have anything against it, I’m just wondering if we’re allowed to do that or not lol

Technically speaking, rule 5 states that discussions must be on topic, and I assume general derailment conflicts with that. On the other hand, it is unclear if discussions must stay on the original thread topic. Since the OP doesn’t seem to have any issues with the derailment, I can’t see any problems here.

It’s off-topic as far as ‘Feedback for Epic’ goes however, so if you want to keep talking about Kojima, Paragon, etcetera, better do that in a different thread. Since there’s some legitimate feedback in the first few posts I’ll leave the thread here however, but do not bump it again unless you have something to add regarding the original topic (Paper2D development).

On a topic of 2D, I’m not an expert on unreal render pipeline, but I imagine camera trace for objects in 3d world and stuff, so how much worse this approach compare to 2d layered rendered for 2d only games?

I think Unreal has just too many features (even in the render pipeline alone) to justify using it for a 2D game.
If you make a 2D game I believe you aim to make it as light as possible to run on absolutely every device out there; even unity is bad for this, I would look into a dedicated blazing fast 2D engine instead as a serious option.

What could be a point is that those engines usually dont feature such a nifty visual interface as Blueprints.

Our game runs at a solid 1080p 60fps for both PS4 and XB1! On pc it can run on a 5 year old system no problem.
Paper2d is kickass and you can do CRAZY stuff when mix and matching sprites with mesh tweening and particles.
Even as it stands it is super .
Imagine what would happen if they spend some more time with it.
It would make all other 2d and 3d engines obsolete for cross platform 2d development.

The few people that have seen our game cannot believe how buttery smooth it is running and the visual fidelity that unreal can offer.

Performance is not an issue if you know what you are doing which applies to 3d development as well.

Hopefully when we release our game in a few months and they see it, they will realize how much potential this thing has.

Honestly, i don’t think 2d game doing 1080p 60fps on ps4 its that big of an achievement.

And honestly i do not understand the philosophy behind these statements.

This is the internet, but because you are an answer sage and i respect the fact that you help people out more than you can imagine, i will try to address this.

Are you actively developing a Paper2d game?

Do you have the devkits in your workplace and have you tried to run the above project in them?

Do you believe that all games regardless genre , have the same amount of actors, animations, effects and so on that would justify your statement?

Does Rayman has the same requirements as Super Distro (from an dude that i have supported by buying his book)?

Why if it is so easy to run 60fps on a console, then Tembo the Badass Elephant has some horrific frame rate issues?
Mind you that this was created with unity (a “lighter” engine from what people say) Published by SEGA and created by an experienced studio.
It was also 3d which means that GPU’s are infinitely better optimized for polygons than flipbooks that require draw calls and a ton of textures.

What i am trying to say is that the above statement is ignorant and stereotypical by downgrading the hard effort that we put behind our game (and other peoples games) by labeling all 2d as “easy”, just because you think that the only REAL challenge in game development is creating the next 3D gazzilionpolytresfx blockbuster. If everything is so easy , then why 99% of the people in here will never release a game let alone for the consoles?

This thread was created by someone that is worried about the development of this plugin.
A few posts later people were talking about metal gear solid , Bruno was saying that the engine is too complicated for 2d and so on…

We are living proof that the engine is suitable for this sort of games (even though the lack of development is slowing us down) and our game is 5x times better now than the 2 year old trailer that we have.
That was the only reason i replied to Bruno just to let him know that it is possible and the work of Noland is exceptional and also to inform people that they can use it and create a game.

Dont you understand that you are scarring people of with your half ***** knowledge of the subject? Do you not understand that you are killing the hopes and dreams of new comers by stating things that are not true? Why is it so bad to let people play around with 2d and when they involve or get tired of it to move to something else? Will you win something if you thin down the user base of paper2d and unreal pulls the plug to it??

Have you ever seen me participating in multiplayer threads? No. Do you know why? Because i know nothing about it. Playing with it for a week does not mean that you know what is really going on and its potential.They have a diamond in their hands, they only need to polish it.

We are going against all odds, we have zero help from the community because at the level we are now no one is even close to us regarding 2d, we are using Creature (that i helped the author to make it work with the UE4 pipeline regarding features and functionality) to bring our characters to life and all that with many things broken or half finished regarding the plugin.

That is why it is not wise to do statements that disrespect others people’s hard work and struggles, especially when you have no metrics to back them up.

Cheers!

I don’t care about how much effort you put into your living proof, the wall of worthless text to boost self-esteem is not interesting as well. Also, the amount of conclusions you made from my simple post is insane and sound more like you had to tell those stuff someone (because of internal pain or something) than an actual response to some post.

“I’m scaring people because of lack of knowledge”? Do you feel this statement being a little bit hypocritical? Your knowledge and experience really help to promote 2d on ue4, it made me want to do paper2d stuff, especially this story helps.

What I was saying, that 60fps doesn’t sound even remotely good for 2d game, because I understood your statement as the mark you working on, basically your game avg frame time, which you could answer with something like “we limit it and never drop below 60fps” or whatever. My crash course on 2d engines like year ago by dev which actually had publishing experience with most of them left knowledge of game scenes running 600+ frames per sec (up to 1ms frame time) on Ok pc setup, that’s what my judgment was based on.