Has anyone been able to use speedtree models on iOS devices?

Hi,

I am trying to use speedtree models (more precisely, the free ones you can download from their website) on iOS devices, and I am running into a number of problems.

First, I removed all speedtree-specific nodes from materials because I was not sure they were supported, so I ended up with materials using just diffuse, normal and (vertex-based) AO (I tried also to remove the AO). The trees were rendered just fine in the UE4 mobile preview, but not on the device, where I was basically just seeing a grey trunk (leaves are entirely made of billboards).

From various searches in UE4 answerhub and forums, the problem could be related to the fact that speedtree models use 8 UV channels, while iOS devices support far less channels. By switching to Metal rendering, I can see the leaves (probably because more UV channels are supported), but texture UVs are messed up, presumably because some UVs are larger than 1 (see this question).

Since various UE4 samples include trees that were presumably made with speedtree, and these samples work just fine on mobile, I was wondering how these trees were prepared for mobile, and more generally, whether anyone has been able to use speedtree models on iOS devices.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem. Speed tree models show up, but using WorldGridMaterial. The logs contain warnings about not being able to compile speed tree materials in “es 2” mode. Which is super confusing because SpeedTree and Epic are all over saying that speed tree works on mobile. Having a real hard time figuring out exactly what the problem is with the speed tree plugin/importer.