Has anyone been able to launch Lyra in UE 5.4.1?

Every time I open Lyra using its default of DX12 in UE 5.4.1 I get this crash

If I change the windows platform to DX11 it can launch fine. It’s strange because creating a Lyra project in 5.3.2 using DX12 is fine on my PC, and creating a new third person project in UE 5.4.1 with DX12 is also fine.

Hard to find out exactly where the problem lies. Has anyone else had any luck with opening Lyra with DX12 in UE 5.4.1?

I opened Lyra on my 1080ti
so it’s unlikely that the problem could be with the videocard. Perhaps resetting the configuration files will help.
I would download a clean project from the EGL and run it to make sure. I would also use a pure engine (without third-party plugins and modifications if you have the Git version)

1 Like

I did a reinstall of windows, EGL, UE5, and Lyra. Same issue still. I installed it on my wifes PC and it works fine though.

If that is indeed the case, then I can only speculate that the problem is with the hardware.

It’s possible there is a RAM failure that is causing an incorrect address or a WHEA (Windows Hardware Error Architecture) level issue (e.g. an L1 cache error).

Such errors do not lead to a system crash and are very difficult to detect. Even after hours of testing, they can appear under certain conditions, such as (overclocking, XMP profile, core voltage and frequency, PBO, etc.).

I’m not saying the problem is definitely this, but if you’ve ruled out all software issues, then the only remaining culprit is the hardware.

Hi there,
I’ve just created a Lyra project with default RHI DirectX 12 and I haven’t found any issues. Are you opening a blank or modified project?

Try to check the output log for more details. Also, check the project saved log file, which can be found inside the folder saved\logs.

Yea I believe it is a hardware/bios issue. My PC is new with lots of the latest parts (4090, i9-13900K, etc). It has always had a similar shader crash with various unreal games, but that had never affected me using the engine on my own projects until 5.4. I tried tons of things to fix it on the hardware side (changing page file, updated BIOS, RMA’d parts, changed CPU core ratios, etc). And while something things made it work a little better, sometimes. It was never totally solved.

Recently though after reinstalling/reformatting windows I still was getting the crash. Then while researching to learn more about my motherboard I randomly came across this program for it called “Armoury Crate”. Figured I could install it and maybe it could tell me more about my motherboard or make it easier to change some settings. I installed it and went through its utility which had some more updates for my BIOS (newer than the one I got on the ASUS website a day ago). After restarting the problem is now gone.

IDK what it did exactly besides update stuff but now I can run the Lyra project as well as other UE games that would crash due to “out of video memory” during shader compilation!

1 Like