[hardware question] Xeon E3-1231 v3 cs Intel Core i7 4790K

Hi there! I’m building a new pc mainly to use unreal engine.
Those are my parts for now:

• **CPU **Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • **CPU Cooler **Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
  • **Storage ** Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive €56.61
  • Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
  • Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
  • Power Supply Corsair VS 550W ATX Power Supply
  • Wired Network Adapter TP-Link TG-3468 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter
  • Monitor AOC i2367Fh 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

but I need to reduce a bitt the cost. A Reddit user adviced me to change the I7-4790k to a Xeon E3-1231 v3.

What do you think about it?
btw:Suggestion to the build are wellcome!

Thanks in advance!

Thankss!!

That machine is almost identical to mine, and it’s serving me very well. I’m using the 4790k and it’s more than capable - it’s also simply a better processor than that Xeon (whose additional features probably won’t do much for you over the consumer i7).

I would perhaps maybe consider a beefier power supply - the one you have is ample, but if you want to add something more to your system further down the line you may find you’re pushing it a little.

If you want to save some money on the processor, then you can drop it down to a 4770k, I think you would see a big drop in performance by switching to the Xeon

I know you said you’d like to drop down the cost, but I’d go for 24GB RAM if you plan on making a large-ish game.

I don’t think you’ll need 24. I rarely get above 8.

Really? Just with my usual programs open I am using 8GB, sometimes up to 12. With UE4 open, I am always using from 3-8 GB, and then I have some other programs like WM & Adobe software that uses a few GBs.

I use just about 4, don’t usually go up to 8, unless I’m doing something crazy. Most of the time it’s just the internet browser and then whatever program I’m working in, at most it would be something like Unreal+3ds Max, or 3ds Max+Photoshop

I got around with 8GB having UE4, max and WM open.

Thank you all for your advice! Finally I won’t go for the Xeon, because I want to keep it Overclockable. After a lot of helful advice from this website (and Reddit and some “real physical friends”) I will go for this beast.

• CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
  • **SSD:**Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • **Video Card **MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
  • ** Case** Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
  • Power Supply Corsair VS 550W ATX Power Supply
  • ** Monitor** AOC i2367Fh 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

I can overclock and go for more RAM and a better PS in the future. The budget stills high, but maybe I’ll keep my old monitor until the next months :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again! I really appreciate your time!

hi guyz, I’m also building a pc for ue. i was thinking about an intel xeon with 16gb ram, 256ssd(for os and application), 2/3 TB HD(for storage) and gtx 750ti/760. but after some online research i find that other guyz are going with i5/i7 for gaming purposes. now im confused about which processor should i choose.
the reason i choose xeon processor is because i’ll be developing a game and i’ll be working with vs and ue and some other application like max/maya or photoshop etc which when running simultaneously require a lot more processing power then simply playing a game.
so i really appreciate if anyone can tell me which processor should i choose.
thanks in advance.