I have a background in business application development and I want to pursue my dream (which is game development ) and started to watch and read tutorials for unreal engine. As I don’t know C++ and don’t want to learn it, I am using blueprints to do everything.
My game is a top down rpg game like ultima online (if you didnt play this game, you should!). I made a plan and wrote down everything I want to have in my game. First thing on my list is to do is handle mouse input with following features:
- Check mouse position every tick
- ray trace it to see if it collides with anything (i want to exclude static map objects, although need it for pathfinding so im not sure about this)
- highlight the object or character based on characters faction (friendly or monster)
- handle player state (idle, choose_target, choose_aoe_spell_target, choose_friendly_target, choose_an_item, and many others) and call the action according to the state
- move player character with animation (there are different character classes with different weapons and animations, but I think this does not belong to this bp)
So my question is, how would you structure this system ? With code I would probably go for state machine but I have very little experience with game programming.