HammUEr, a Hammer/Worldcraft map importer for Unreal Engine

Well, next time (hoping there is none, but if anyone else runs into this problem…)

See my earlier post below. Jackhammer is a standalone level editor not owned or endorsed by Valve or ID Software, therefore there is no legally binding EULA that would bind the End User to either company’s IP.

I’m not an attorney, although I did save 15% on my car insurance by switching to GEICO.

I think that this is a good idea and you should do it (for spec maps too - maybe just in a way that works for arbitrary “texture ending x goes in x material parameter”), but I also think that the best way to do Source engine ones would be actually look in the .VMTs and build the material instance from that info - it’s all kinda there, and I can make a master material that does everything the Source mats do and has a good set of parameters to automate.

We said this already between ourselves, I’m mostly just reiterating for the audience now :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess either materials shared between Source games are the exception to this rule, or I just still have an old “source materials.gcf” for whatever reason.

it could be a gcf file not removed with the steam pipe update all texture sharing is handled in the Gameinfo.txt now :slight_smile:

Edit
this link shows how to have portal,tf2 CSS,DOD and Gmod textures display in Hammer at the same time Steam Community :: Guide :: The ultimate Hammer Config, never make another hammer config again!

sneak preview of the next public build.

YAY, Normal maps!

And another brief preview.

Threw up a second tutorial, just basic importing of HL1/Quake1/Quake2 textures and maps.

Ported a Vampire Bloodlines map, still no props but pretty awesome lookin’. More pics on my blog (sig)

Cool stuff!

Have you had a chance to look into Doom 3 maps yet ?

Fiddled with it a bit. I’ve got brushes loading, but not patches yet.

It doesn’t have the highest priority at the moment.

Do you have a rough idea / todo list of the priorities? Really hoping for the smoothed normals thing especially if you can get it to work with Hammers smoothing groups (which I presume can be applied to any surfaces within hammer?)

The current list on the whiteboard is:

• ‘Full’ VMT import (kinda there, need to figure a better way to handle the extra textures for base and normal for WorldVertexTransition)
  • Prop importing and placement
  • Smoothing groups
  • Implement curved patches and correct texturing for Quake 3 and Doom 3 maps
  • Expand supported entity types
  • BSP support, maybe?

Sweet!

Would materials for Quake 3 / Doom 3 maps generated automatically in UE4? (at least basic type, which can be manually adjusted later)

Would lights be automatically converted into UE4 lights? (again, at least basic types with default settings; I would rather have default lights already in place than having to re-lit entire level from scratch)

I’ve imported the doom3 textures as materials without problems.
Lights would be converted into UE4 lights like for everything else so far.

Any chance of making it automatically update the meshes (in UE4) whenever the map is saved (in hammer)? Rather than going through the import process every time, so you could quickly preview changes just by saving and switching to the editor. Maybe optimized by just looking for which groups have changed, so that it doesn’t need to reload the whole thing, only individual meshes.

+1, except Doom 3 has no groups :confused:

Your best bet is to keep HammUEr open and to update the “import only” lists accordingly.

I guess I could let HammUEr check if the current file has a different timestamp every minute…
Looking to see what has changed would basically require a full reprocess of the entire map (and a compare, which would take more time), though, so you’d only save on some of the final “building meshes” time anyway.

Wouldn’t it be better to have a button “Refresh” or “Update” in the Editor, so that user can manually update when needed, instead of looping check for timestamp? (which also can go out of whack when .map file is on SVN)

Ah ok, I assumed reading/processing the map would be very fast relative to building all the meshes. As motorsep said, an update button would be good too.