HammUEr, a Hammer/Worldcraft map importer for Unreal Engine

1. is there some weird lighting property with func_detail? I selected all my geometry then moved it to world so that there was no func_detail in the map, I imported it fresh and some of my issues were fixed but not all of them, I think I need to nodraw every texture you aren’t supposed to see because I believe that’s fixing it, but I dunno, there seem to be a few anomalies.

2. I was using “ignore” for the most part then selected it to “In PropUEr” and everything imported small again, haven’t tried the 3rd option “UE scale”, is that the one?

3/4. I seemed to have fixed the issue, I tried this:

looks like my models and textures that were supposed to be masked are now showing masked.

and I have a question, will we be able to import player clips?

There shouldn’t be anything different about how func_details are handled.
There might be some problems when calculating normals if there are invisible angular polygons, although the smoothing code should be able to handle those…

Yeah, that’s the one.
“Ignore” doesn’t touch the models
“In PropUEr” bakes whatever the current scale is at the moment you do your first actual model import, so they’ll always have that scale by editing the vertices
“UE scale” sets the model’s scale value to the current scale value at the moment of importing into a map, without changing any of the model data itself
(So if you’ve imported with In PropUEr, be sure not to switch to UE scale or it’ll be scaled twice)

Technically, you can if you don’t untick the nodraw column for clip textures (you can type clip in the textbox that appears when you’ve opened a map, and it’ll highlight all of them to make it easier to find them.) It’ll then create solid meshes with the transparent clip textures, which you’ll… have to replace with an unreal blocking volume, I think? Or you could just turn off Rendering/visible for those meshes, maybe that’ll work too?
Sorry, I haven’t done any actual level stuff in UE, so you’re probably best off looking for someone more experienced there.

Importing clips:

-don’t tick ND on the clip textures
-after import, click on a clip brush, right click -> select all with matching material. Now you’ve got all the clip brush meshes selected!
-in the actor settings, set up the collision how you want it. I.e. blocking only pawn, only vehicle, whatever, ignoring all else.

where is the smoothing option?

cool, I’ll give this and Joe’s suggestions a try.

I also need help importing decals/overlays, how do I fix this?

It should be enabled by default if you’re using version 1.2, but it can be turned off on the configUEr tab

This should solve that.

Edit: Another possibility is that the source materials weren’t $decal 1 and that because of that the unreal engine materials were built with your normal base material and not your decal base material, so check that too.

do I have to reimport my decals/overlays and use the decal option? or can I select all the decals/overlays in my world outliner then set them all to a different basematerial (in this case, basedecal)?

I don’t think you can batch reassign materials in the editor?

I’m not seeing any smoothing options in HammUEr? is it the button in the PropUEr tab? and this smooths out only meshes I select?

and yeah I have version 1.2 for UE 4.11.2

Smoothing is enabled by default.
It’ll look slightly different, but these are your smoothing settings.
The checkbox turns smoothing off, the angle is the maximum angle between polygons to generate smooth normals for (so if you set it to 0, it would basically be the same as turning the smoothing off)
f6e3b31fad0e176e85093de2bf7c863e3d2a153a.jpeg

The button on the PropUEr tab is basically a legacy test button that’s disappeared in the current version, but yes, that’ll smooth out the meshes you’ve currently selected…
with the same code that should have run on your brushes in the first place, so I don’t know if it’ll change too much?

I copied your settings but I already had those options set as default before.

man UE is confusing, took me like 20 minutes to understand how to make a decal texture. It wanted me to restart so I restart, but now my project won’t even load… wtf

project loads, it hangs up but it’s back… now to test the decals

If you have a lot of textures/materials, it’ll stay there for a couple* of minutes. Switching to DBuffer makes it recompile all the materials once right after you set it.

• for given values of couple, depending on just how many textures you have/your system speed.

I see, it’s loading and compiling shaders now.

can I reimport my decals/overlays over my existing ones? If I choose to import into a new folder and have multiple copies, is there a way to clean it up? and if I did that, which would mean deleting folders, would I have to reimport my map and would they find the new textures automatically?

decals working, just going through them one by one for now…

You can reimport over your existing ones, yes. If you use the same import directory/structure, it’ll just recreate the UE materials and texture files.

You’ll have to manage your multiple copies yourself if you import to other directories (although HammUEr should always use the latest imported one), I’m afraid.
I’m pretty sure if you’ve saved a map in UE and try to reopen it after deleting its original materials directory, it won’t be able to find them… but I haven’t really tried that myself.

I’m still seeing the choppy geometry, could be no draw, but I will try another import with your settings this time.

Also, how do we get overlays to properly align over displacements? they seem to automatically be going to the flat floor beneath them instead of on top of them, any ideas?

and, is there a way to see the alpha channels from displacements?

thanks for all your help.

Can you put the map (or just a part where the choppiness is really noticeable) up somewhere?

Decals work quite differently from overlays.
HammUEr uses the point supplied by the map, then tries to find the nearest mesh within a certain range as its projection point.
If for some reason it’s too far away, you’re going to have to move the decal yourself (or adjust the size value so it overlaps with the displacement).

The alpha gets converted to whatever colour you picked in the configuer tab, so you should be able to check it in the mesh viewer in vector color mode.

I’m dumb, I was still getting choppy geometry on the OLD map, after using your settings and importing the map again, problem fixed!

and yea I meant decals, whoops. Ok I’ll try adjusting the decal location/size/etc., see what happens.

I hope we’re talking about the same thing? Source textures that have multiple textures in one, so when you make a displacement you can paint an alpha and get the secondary texture to show, you can create some nice blending. So instead of seeing the nice blended textures, I just see some odd looking stuff which I can screen shot and send you when I get home in a couple hours.

Or maybe this is a solution you are offering, my UE understanding is like day -1, lol, it’s difficult for me to find the correct settings necessary to tweak. I’m really just too used to the source way of doing things but I’m here to learn, really appreciate the help.

Hurray!

Yeah, it takes the displacement alpha value and encodes it in one of the channels of the vertex colours of your mesh (sample here uses the red channel. 0 in red leaves blue and green, remember)…
66e82fe27b9e83600918c89ab971206c33547651.jpeg
… which when combined with a basecolor chain that looks something like this (again note the red channel being used, but this can be whatever you want and have selected in the configuer tab)…
21f4b4f1526df9015eca6b33b098bdd7a343a84e.jpeg
… turns into this in-editor.

(Unfortunately, if you use the default of “alpha”, it just gives you a pure white vert colors view, but it’ll still work in engine)

I don’t know how to create that lerp box you have, how do I find it? did a search and couldn’t find it. It’s things like these that I’m lost on…

I assume once I set this new material up, then I just reassign all my displacements with this materiel as a base?

for the 2d parameters, does the base texture you selected matter?

edit: I figured out the lerp thing, here is what I’m seeing

Drag a line out from the final basecolor node and just type lerp, which will highlight Math/LinearInterpolate, which is the one you want.

Something like that, yes. Were you not using a base material with a setup like this before? (It’s also given as an (incomplete) example in the manual.)

No, I just grabbed the first 2 textures in my list for this quick example.
They get replaced anyway by the material instance creator, although it’s good practice to pick neutral textures that won’t influence the material in any way.
A flat white baseColor texture, a “flat” normal texture, etc

hm ok, so if you look at my edit you will see the screens I attached, I set it up with the basic textures like you said and this is what I see when i reassign the texture