HammUEr, a Hammer/Worldcraft map importer for Unreal Engine

It doesn’t do that, no. These are static meshes, they don’t get culled per triangle.

4.11.1 hotfix compatible 1.2 builds are now available.

Cool. How is it progressing?

Not much to report at the moment.
Mostly doing behind the scenes stuff while waiting on some pingbacks.

Hey , i am having a issue with using 4.11 with HammUEr, after importing the shadows are not working correctly, even if you change the light settings or rebake.

Any idea what causes this? In 4.10 shadows were sharp and fully working while in 4.11 no real shadow is shown and it seems all lightmaps are broken?

Hm. Is this with the same map in both 4.10 and 4.11 and the same HammUEr version/lightmap settings?
Do you get the same kind of problems just using generic meshes (cubes stacked on a plane or whatnot)?

I haven’t really changed anything in the lightmap code since… January I think… and all I really do is suggest a size to UE and let it handle all the rest.

Well i tried using different options and even just opening a 4.10 project in 4.11, as for meshes/textures/assets i imported all basic hl2 ones using a guide i found around here.

The weird part is just that opening anything in 4.11 suffers from this issue. If you need any screenshots/video let me know.

Screenshots might help.
I think it might be something to do with the default lightmap sizes being too small to accurately store shadows for intricate meshes with the average area of brushes (which can be fixed by increasing lightmap size for all brushes that are hit by shadows for static meshes cast by point lights), but maybe you’re talking about something else.

Demonstration with the default 400x400 floor and a chair mesh with a single static point light at various lightmap resolutions
46e5a3ca98792184c242e98a2af4e4f9259ab898.jpeg269f64a011f29845dea1e438d312df979ed5c6b4.jpegb529dd62d8b4a054ba1300fe2875cef7d47888bc.jpeg

Here are some shots of dod_flash:

I used various settings but this is imported with everything set to default, doing the same import in 4.10 works fine :confused:

Oh, I see now. It’s overlaying everything with enormous green default decal textures.
They apparently changed the way decals work in 4.11, from width, height, depth to depth, width, height… without actually announcing they did anywhere as far as I can see? -_-
Selecting all “decal” actors in your scene overview and disabling them should return it to looking like you expect.

I’ll try and put up a new version that takes this into account for 4.11 later today.

Oh, that makes sense actually, thanks for helping! will try doing that later. :slight_smile:

New build uploaded to both storefronts that should fix the broken decals in 4.11.1

So when will this be released on the marketplace?

No clue.
As you might have noticed, not a single plugin has appeared on the marketplace as of yet (no, the Substance and Modo importers don’t count).
I asked Epic some questions about release specifics which might require some rewrites almost a month ago, and I’m still waiting for an answer, so…

Got this to pull some maps out of CS source for testing my own project, nice plugin! however I can only seem to get the maps in a “round about” way. Lots of random greyboxing, lighting broken / bad performance. Desperately need some more documentation / steps on how to get results like Joe has got with the lost coast for instance!

Thanks.

Random greyboxing means you’ve got missing materials, either not extracted from the VPKs or broken somehow, then not (re-)assigned during import.
Lighting matches whatever the map has, with an user-adjustable intensity modifier on the ConfigUEr tab, so I don’t really see how it can be broken…
(Unless you’re using UE 4.11.1 and aren’t using yesterday’s version of HammUEr, in which case decals might be overlaying everything with huge green textures due to a change in how the decals work in UE itself, which might look like broken lighting, like it did for Highflex on the previous page)
One thing to note here is that Source loves using lots of directional lights, but they seem to stack level-wide in UE, washing out anything they touch, so you’re best off picking a single one to hook up to your sky sphere and deleting the rest/replacing them with stationary lights.

I have no idea what to say about “round about way” (the actual HammUEr part is pretty clear cut, no?) or “bad performance”.

Joe’s tutorial videos linked in the first post, while for waaaaaay older builds, are still valid in general, as is my own silent one on the Quake E1M1 import, which follows the same generic steps anyway.
I am going to do a full rewrite of the docs, but here’s a quick step by step guide.

The steps are quite simple, really:
Prep work, should only happen once

1. Create a base material as shown in the documentation (or more extensive, whatever you need), and another simple one (textureparameter2D to baseColor and Opacity) that uses the Deferred Decal domain
  2. Extract all VTF & VMT files from the VPK files for the Source game you want to import maps from to a single directory, keeping the directory structure intact.
  3. If you used any of its models, do the same for all VTX/MDL/VVD combos
  4. Import these directories into your project with the TextUEr and PropUEr tabs respectively, assigning the materials from step 0 on the TextUEr tab
  5. On the ConfigUEr tab, make sure your scale conversion value is correct for whatever you used when creating the map (Source default is about 39.37 as stated in the tooltip)

Per map

1. Choose the VMF* file you want to import in the HammUEr tab and click “open file”
  2. Check the searchable material list that appeared for missing materials/materials you want to reassign to your own ones/materials you want to set nodraw (tools, triggers, skyboxes, clippers, etc)
  3. In some rare special cases, adjust import tweaking settings on the ConfigUEr tab, all of which are explained by their tooltips
  4. Click “Go” to build the map in your UE project
  • Caveat: if you’ve decompiled a map not your own or you lost your original files, make sure your decompiler doesn’t generate broken files by trying them in Hammer first

Thanks for the fast reply Trufster!

You were right with the missing materials, it was actually for the trigger boxes etc, hence the random greyboxing.

EDIT: I fixed most of the errors in the geometry by taking the level into hammer, simply just opened the decompiled map in hammer and saved it then re-imported. :slight_smile:

This also fixed the massive framerate drop with movable lights!

And here we have it. Still need to work on tuning the lighting, getting decals to work properly, and figuring out some of the materials to look as good as Joe’s do.

384d22554745ce41292dc15b3580d941f314fc6a.jpeg

Yeah, decompilers don’t always generate correct data, especially for the newer games, which leads to all kinds of weirdness and broken stuff.

To get decals that work (and not have weird anemic decals that disappear the more light hits them or fade weirdly), make your decal source material something like this:

and change these in your project settings (which will ask you to restart UE and will make it recompile all shaders once):

4.11.2 hotfix builds are up.