HammUEr, a Hammer/Worldcraft map importer for Unreal Engine

Haven’t really had the time, wanted to focus on the Source model stuff.
I’ll pencil in some time this week, tho.

That is epic :smiley:

After seeing those maps, are the materials instanced at all? Or are they all separate materials? If they arent instanced, you should go about seeing if you can do that since having that many materials with the same parameters can affect performance, and its much quicker to edit materials and not wait for shaders to compile.

Just purchased this, will this work with the Unreal Tournament version of the unreal engine editor? Shouldn’t be a big of a deal if that isn’t the case, but I’d like to point out anyway that page 6 in that introduces this plugin the image isn’t viewable properly at all so I can’t see the correct value for converting source maps to unreal engine in scale

They’re all instanced from a single material :slight_smile:

Ah thats perfect! This is coming along really well.

39.37 seems to be the sweet spot (or 39.36999999 as UE’s input boxes insist on calling it).
Most settings have a tooltip with some more explanation, as does this one, that explicitly tells you this value.

(Thanks for reminding me that I referred to it in the doc text, but when I replaced the image for the new features, forgot to do the whole hover thing again)

Are Quake maps fully supported ?

Quake 1 (and probably 2), yes.
3, not yet. It should technically import non-patch brushes for 3, but patches aren’t in yet.

Cool, but what’s with lighting on the mannequin when inside that church (?) on Lost Coast map ? Whether it’s in the shadows or on the right light, it’s lit the same way :confused:

Im pretty sure thats because the only lighting information on the mannequin is the ambient light from the skylight while in the church, and since the lighting is baked in there and not on the mannequin it looks bad.

How would you have baked lighting and yet have it affect mannequin inside that kind of building ? Is it achievable ?

That Im not too sure about, but I feel thats in the realm of dynamic GI.

Every light type except light_dynamic defaults to Static to cut down on the unknown performance cost.
That doesn’t mean you can’t set specific lights to Stationary or Movable yourself after import, it just doesn’t make sense to automatically import an unknown amount of lights (I’ve seen maps with over 500 lights in them, for ex) in a way that’ll kill even your editor performance to 0.01fps (until you turn off lit, but still) by default.

(also, Joe might have forgotten to turn on the nodraw two-sided shadowing fix option for that one, which might also influence it maybe, not sure)

Basically, getting game props into HammUEr means first getting the mdl/vvx/vtx files out of the vpks, then importing them from the PropUEr tab. (Yes, you need all 3 for each model because the data is spread out across these files. No, I don’t know why either.) Make sure you actually selected some/clicked the all button before clicking the import button to get them into your UE project.

Concerning textures not being assigned: if you’re using the 1.1 beta, you need to restart UE after doing a texture import before you try to import a map. Otherwise, UE can’t find the materials (long story short: I’m unloading textures and mats to save on memory usage, but that makes UE blind to the files it wrote itself (note they don’t even show up in the content browser), even though they exist. It ‘finds’ them fine the next time you start the editor, though) and will tell HammUEr they don’t exist, which in turn will make HammUEr think they might have been deleted, and will remove them from its own database.

(If you were unfortunate enough to try to import a map during the same session as a texture import and your database got corrupted, either run the TextUEr discovery option, or just reimport the textures a second time. Since UE will already know the files exist, it’ll still be able to find and reload them after the import this time.)

Like I said, you need all three for PropUEr to be able to work.
Then once you’ve imported them with PropUEr, they’ll be placed automatically when the map is (re)imported.

Check how many directional lights there are in your map.
Some HL maps have 5-10 of them, and if they all contribute to GI and have a high intensity, something like this is the result.
(Although I’ve never seen it quite this bad. Does the FPSExampleMap you imported this into have some kind of fog effect by default?)

Directional lights also sometimes do just come in way too bright at the moment. For me lost coast’s was like 250 and I had to take it down to 10.

Yeah, the standard lighting multiplier of 100 should probably be dropped by a large factor.

Also, discovered that Quake importing messes up the textures in the current 1.1 build, but is fine in the 1.0 build.
1.0 should be fine for Quake importing, since most of the fixes/addons in 1.1 were for Source specific stuff anyway, but a new build will go up today or tomorrow.