Hair too transparent

I’m struggling with the hair that I’ve acquired from DAZ studios (this includes all the Daz hair that I’ve been working with). The hair is too transparent and I know it probably has something to do with the materials but I’m fairly new to UE4. Here’s how the hair should look

Here’s how it looks in UE4

And here’s what the materials are looking like

It would be amazing if someone helped, I searched for weeks on YouTube etc but I couldn’t find the solution

1 Like

Thank you for the response. This is what it came with by default when I imported this into UE4. I deleted the texture that was connected to Opacity (Like you said) and it’s starting to make some progress, but it still looks a little off. Each strand of hair is shaped differently.

How did you make that opacity map and what does it look like without it?

it looks like its too dense now? I’m not sure if this will work but try multiplying the map by a variable that you can scale and see if you can alter it in any way

How do you do that? Sorry, I’m a noob at this stuff, I just started 3 weeks ago.

Thank you for helping out. I found out that its the hair itself that’s causing me trouble.

Most of case, for hair, “Masked” is common for realtime rendering.
It doesn’t showing properly with “Translucent” with opacity.

And Masked texture, should be Linear color, which is “Not checked sRGB” on texture editor.

And if it’s still too much transparent, you can adjust either your mask texture’s color level in photoshop,

or you can simply change the value inside of the material editor :slight_smile:

For some reason, when I use “Masked” my Opacity is blocked off (and its definitely needed for my hair.

In order for you to use the masked option you’ll have to use the opacity mask but it’s usually utilized through something called an alpha channel, which is a fourth channel aside from your rgb channels.

I mentioned multiplying it earlier so instead of making it a masked material try doing what I have in the image here and the connect the node from the multiply node to your opacity. Change the constant number there and see if you can get the results that you want.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!! It solved everything and more.

Multiplying it was the answer! Again, thank you very much. I’ve had trouble with this for days and you helped me in a instant!

I made a tutorial for pretty much exactly this, if it helps you out, share it with friends!!