Hair Rendering Simulation test

I have no portfolio and never really working on anything too big. Just someone who has been passionate about game development, especially graphics for a long long time, worked on a couple of demos back in the day, made a couple of deferred renderers. Implemented the tiled deferred lighting similar to what UE4 uses when I read a paper on it from the Frostbite engine. Thats about it. Never really had a good engine to work with, so its a dream come true to be able to do what I can do with UE4.

New updated, managed to get shadows figured out for self shadowing of the hair. Working on simulation next, and create a couple of new assets, sick of working with the same set of hair.

That last update of the hair looks great!

Wow, congrats! The last picture looks really great. Did you do some performance tests already?

Not yet, still very unoptimized, I’ve just shoved code in where I can. Once I have the simulation done, I will refactor the code, now that I have a better understanding of the rendering side and then optimize the shaders, and then I can start doing some performance testing.

That looks really good, great job!

@ - This may be a stupid question but i downloaded your Movie Texture , how do i compile it to get it working? It’s the first i have installed for UE4.

Looking great, what program are you using to design the strands? Just wondering if something like HairFarm, Ornatrix, or even Zbrush fibermesh via script to convert to Splines can be used.

That’s just the coolest, great work! I’m curious, do the strands react with physics?

Place source code of in <YOUR_PROJECT_FOLDER>\Plugins\WindowsTextureMovie. Regenerate project files, and compile, that should be it. When you launch the editor, make sure to enable the . Currently does not work with 4.2. I need to go through and clean it up to make it compatible.

Currently just using 3dsmax and placing splines, then exporting to ASE and converting to custom format, not very versatile for styling. AMD recommends Hair cut and shave (I think thats what its called) for Maya, but is expensive.

Not yet. I am working on simulation next, which will allow for gravity and wind, and collision with custom specified collisions (Spheres and Capsules, like how Apex cloth is done). External physics objects maybe in the future.

Update: Quick test with short fur. Nothing fancy, would look better with more random variation (Which I will be looking at) and a better asset.

Amazing work [attach=config]4521[/attach]

Wow, looks like Nvidia hair demo! Do you have a video for that before you release it? Thanks.

Oh, btw, do your old two plugins work with 4.2?

No video yet, after simulation there will be.

Internally yes, what I provide no. Will be uploading when I get around to it.

Truly looks great! So this is still part of the deferred renderer, and just an additional Lighting ID I presume like Translucent/Pre-Integrated Skin etc.

Also, I noticed that TressFX is an Ati/Amd Technology, how does it work with nVidia cards?

As I have just written in the BRDF post, I moved to the translucency stage and am rendering using a kind of forward renderer with a custom lighting model. I had to do this since I needed alpha since it uses Order Independent Transparency to render the strands at different depths correctly.

TressFX is developed by ATI, but contains nothing specific to ATI so it runs just fine on NVidia cards. I only run NVidia cards and am getting good frame rates. Even the original ATI TressFX demo gets 200fps on my machine, so no issues.

TressFX 2.0 runs good too on consoles with Tomb Raider remake (espeically PS4 @ 1080p / 60 FPS) Please make your work as optimized as possible, because it would be awesome to make it work on PS4 too (which has an AMD hardware). It will be coool for the project we are doping (PC/PS4). Thanks.

I’m using 4.1.1 and when i enable the i get an error saying that the failed to load because the module could not be found?

Take a look at my WindowsTextureMovie thread, I have added a layout guide of where the should be sitting. If you still have issues, please post there and show a screen shot of your layout in Explorer and Visual Studio.

First iteration of the simulation is now in. Still a lot to do but for now basic movement is working.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzqpBc4MrAMXbHo2amkzejBOUVU/edit

very…very…very…Nice

Looks great, can’t wait to see the released!