Hack n Slash DmC Arkham alike Overdrive X

Overdrive is a solo project made entirely in blueprints…

The game is a sci fi hack and slash set in a dystopia cyberpunk world with overarching themes of evolution and identity…

Its currently going through a bit of a redesign… Magic is out and telekinetic powers are in… The lock on system has been redesigned to be similar to the batman arkham games… Best way to describe it currently in terms of how it plays is the love child of rocksteady and ninja theory…

Combo KILL!!!

More batman and less DmC these days lol

Hi L04D3D,

Glad to see you started a new thread for OverDriveX!

After watching the combat video, I’m curious to know, what happened at 1:03?

It’s like a time warp occurs and enemies were being sent back to their pre-hit status, is it an intentional game design? Seems this could lead to some interesting combat strategy.

(I need to double-check the video, to ensure this isn’t due to youtube doing random playback or video display bug)

I wish you the best with your project and have a productive weekday! :slight_smile:

yeah it’s intentional… i have a reverse time effect… it’s not finished yet, it’s a work in progress… not everything is reversing correctly :(, but it nearly works :slight_smile: lol… how’s Drifting coming along? It’s such a cool game, really love the feel of it, your gonna do well I would say… what you should really do is try and add lots of detail… there are freelancers who would gladly work on your environments for a royalty…the one thing i’ve noticed is that everything looks very flat and square, i understand this could potentially be a gameplay consideration, but if you up your graphics to the “next level” you stand to make a lot of money with a game like that, it’s got a very cool gameplay concept! I would happily help out on that project, if I wasn’t working on this and I’m sure there are plenty of others who would love to join your project too :)…

reversing time isn’t as hard as it sounds… you’ve got to set a looping timer with a low value in begin play and store all the stuff you need to reverse as arrays, such as transforms etc… then when
you hit the rewind button, you just play all animations and interpolate to the transform in reverse… easy :)…

I was thinking it could probably be used in puzzle elements too and maybe some platforming sections… we will see how it goes…

thanks for your interest! I’m very pleased you are interested in my work as you are a very good game designer, so that means I am too :slight_smile: lol… by extension :D…

take it easy bro…

Batman style counter system for combat…currently it just finds the nearest attacking enemy and counters when they are attacking you… i might make it directional with directional counters we will see

Hi L04D3D,

Thank you for your good words and the honest suggestion :slight_smile:

I’ll see what I can do with the detail of my level, I’ll probably dive into this issue after I build and have other people play-test the stages - which could take a while.

Although implementing a time reverse mechanics is simple in concept, to ensure the rewind process plays well with other systems is still quite a challenge, especially you’ve done this in Blueprint. Even in its current state, I’m pretty impressed by the result.

The time reverse mechanics during combat could lead to many interesting possibilities IMO. Watching the demo video, I could imagine the protagonist use this ability to extend his air combos by making falling enemies float again; projectiles could deal double damage when shooting and then rewinding thus penetrate the enemy twice; since transform and animation were stored separately, the game could dynamically create a doppelganger of the protagonist and just repeat all of his moves in a latent fashion and deal damage at the same time, which sounds crazy fun XD

I’m looking forward to seeing how the game utilizes this mechanic and create interesting experience for the player!

See you around and have fun developing your project =)

:), nice ideas… i especially like the double bullet… or how about a neo style rewinding enemy bullets back into their guns? :D…

keep up the good work man, you and me both :)…