[Gun Scope Mechanics] Aim and Shoot

I’ve thought out a good plan for some of how these features will work. However, I might need help with other parts. Anyone who has a better suggestion just let me know!

I was thinking for the aiming, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make a camera in front of the scope, then model a plane in the exact shape of the scope lens, and project the camera view onto it. Then of coursed change the FOV and so on. But then, how do I make the bullets go towards the scope and not from the barrel? I know what you’re thinking, just point them toward the hit of a line trace, but wouldn’t that look strange? Say youre right up against an enemy, you aim and shoot, it’ll shoot out the barrel and go nearly directly up in the air in order to hit the scope target. Does this make sense to anyone?

Anyways, I hope I have an answer. I just finished modeling my first gun for this project, and I still have a long way to go with it (e.g. UVs, sculpting dents and painting etc.) but I couldnt help but wonder what the next step is for me after I finish the asset.

Thanks everyone, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!