Download

Groom Physics Asset Collision issues

Anyone have tips on finessing collision between Groom hair and colliders on a skeletal mesh? I’ve noticed that scaling collider objects have no effect on the hair, but moving them does show visible collision behaviour. I tried re-creating a physics asset with convex hull for more accurate collision, but the groom seems to ignore collision completely now…

In 4.24 I was having the same issue, idk about 4.25 Seems like I solved it by changing the hair width to something larger. Also I noticed that there are issues with the groom not doing what its suppose to if you don’t export properly using the docs here XGen Guidelines for Hair Creation | Unreal Engine Documentation. I was taking a shortcut by not completing this maya script stuff, at the end and I think that was ok, for 4.24.2 but then they patched to 4.24.3 and it became necessary.

Thanks **ch0keh0ld. **Hair width doesn’t seem to have any effect for me - but I created my groom abc in C4D. I hadn’t considered that being an issue - going to test Maya instead.

So instead of testing Maya, I tried adding additional collider objects to the head of the physics asset. First time I did this crashed UE. So I deleted the groom asset from the skinned mesh and tried again. Voila. Scaling the capsules has no impact on collisions, but positioning does. For animation, this is a workable solution.