Groom disappearing when attached to modified Metahuman face

Hey,

Trying to attach a groom to a modified Metahuman.

The head has been resculpted in Zbrush and FBX brought back in via Maya.

It all links up fine in UE5.

Duplicated the metahuman and groom blueprints.

Created new groom binding conversion with correct Source and Target Skeletal Meshes.

I add the new groom in the metahuman bp.

As soon as I attach it to be a child of the face. It completely vanishes.

Anyone trying a similar approach and found a solution?

I could make a custom groom and import… but wanted to reuse the some of the original grooms.

1 Like

Hi there,

This happens sometimes. A few notes:

• Do you have any other metahuman in your project? It’s good to add one from Bridge before importing your modified character and restart the project as soon as the prompt shows up to make sure all plugins and scripts are correctly initialized.

• Check the LOD synch is overwritten with LOD 0 or 1 and try again. On top of that, check if that particular groom asset has support for LOD 2 and above. This information is available in the Metahuman Creator hair selection (“Head”).

• Try to place the actor in the level and check if is still invisible. Its more than likely a bug. I usually restart the project, and everything shows up. Sometimes the hair appears out of place, and you need to reset location and rotation, sometimes they just vanish.

1 Like

This is actually a glitch that extends to the regular out of the box Metahumans as well. The bodyhair grooms come unbound when the program gets closed and reopened.
If you look at the center of the scene or feet of your character I think you will find all the hair centered down there.
I’ve found you have to go in and reselect each bind for each hair section (ie- eyebrows, mustache, beard, etc) and then they pop back into the correct place.
Sometimes you seem to be able to reattach them at the Outliner details level, and then other times you have to go into the Blueprint itself for the character and rebind the grooms there…
The really annoying thing is it never seems to truly save the groom bindings no matter how you do it or how many times you resave the project/levels, so you have to go back in and rebind them every time you reopen the project…
So hoping its a glitch they fix soon

1 Like

Thanks both… really appreciate you looking at this.

it seems that it’s still bugging out.

Started a fresh project. Brought in the original MH… and then the custom head.

I’ve checked the LOD synch… the grooms have support it seems for LOD 2 and above… and also tried reattaching the groom in the level.

Still it vanishes… No trace of it anywhere in the scene.

Can only guess it’s a bug at this stage… after watching an earlier tutorial on this workflow… and their groom attaches without any problems.

Try deleting Binding Assest?
I have seen the groom disappear when the camera is close. It will not disappear after deleting Binding Assest.
Wish can help you

2 Likes

Deleting the Binding asset makes the groom reappear in the correct position. But rebinding then makes it vanish again.

Tested bringing in a new alembic groom for the custom MH head… and that’s vanishing too.

Fixed the problem… In project settings, Default Skin Cache Behavior should have been set to inclusive. Now all the custom groom binds work.

6 Likes

thanks man. would have never figured it out by myself if i spent my entire lifetime on it. thank god for the community <3

1 Like

Hello I had a similar problem, changed the setting to inclusive so now it doesn’t disappear anymore but instead there are only very few strands of hair showing up instead of the full set. Looks like most of the hair disappear and few strands only shows.
If I don’t bind it, looks perfect tho.

ANy help would be very appreciated :slight_smile:

I have been doing some tests and looks like if I use a very low density in the Xgen options in Maya, and then I bring it in Unreal and bind it to the head, it works.

Instead as soon as I add more density to have a bit more details, once I bind the groom on the head most of them disappear (looks like only the strands where the guides are stay visible).

No clue how to solve this atm.

Duplicate the original groom binding asset and name it something slightly different like putting _1 or something at the end.

Delete the original groom binding asset then replace the reference with the new groom binding asset you just created.

Worked for me. Hope it helps!

1 Like