Groom Binding on Geometry Cache inexorably crashes UE 5.0.1

Hi there,
I’m trying to get a Groom Binding to work within an asset but everytime UE5 crashes!
I can create correctly a Groom Binding with a Geometry Cache and add a Groom to the Groom Asset in a Groom Component, at this moment everything works fine as i can see the groom in the viewport.
But once i drop the Groom Binding in the proper Groom Component slot , UE freeze and then suddenly crash.
This is the log in the crash report

Assertion failed: bInitialized [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12View.h] [Line: 786] Uninitialized D3D12View size 40

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_HairStrandsCore
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

I’m also trying another workaround:
import the abc file as Skeleton Mesh then bind the groom with a Skeleton Mesh. It seems to work but once in play the groom is completly broken, it’s still animated but with a very weird transformation.

in UE427 the binding seems to work in both way!!!

Have you guys any suggestions? something else that I could try?

Thank you!
p

5 Likes

Getting the same thing. The stack trace you have posted and the debugging I’ve observed is that there is a shader view that is not initialized, that should have been, somewhere in the HairInterpolation code area. I’ll post again if I find anything worthy.

1 Like

thank you!

just to say that the new version, 5.0.2, still crashes

I tried 5.01, 5.02, and a build of 5.1, and it crashed as well.

I’ve been testing a lot of groom cache/binding combinations, and binding to a skeletal fbx mesh seems the most stable. The skeletal alembic caused offset transform problems, and the groom cache approach is slow because the cache can get extremely heavy. I’ve also noticed that any sort of bind/cache will cause a significant performance drop in Path Tracing mode.

Hope someone can look into what’s causing these issues.

2 Likes

Hello, does anyone have a solution for this issue?

I am also having this issue. Same report format also

Hi there!
FYI: Unreal 5.0.3 solved the issue, just tried and all is working!

UE-146567 Alembic GeoCache - Crash when setting Groom and Binding assets

1 Like