Green Screen Flashing Bug on Builds

Tom, just checking whether your players are still reporting this issue as well.

For my game I’m still receiving frequent reports from new players about this issue so I’m not sure if the Windows update Nvidia alluded to in this article is out yet.

Another bit of data - For one player the issue flared up after receiving a new Dell update for their Laptop. The issue went away a couple of weeks later with another Dell update - it is unclear whether a Windows update also accompanied these.

In any case would love to hear any data from you or others in a similar situation.

this has been fixed for me with latest nvidia game ready drivers… win 10/nvidia 980 ti/2 monitors

I have the same problem But only when I work with unreal engine. For example when i render the scene the output video is all green.

Just checking whether any others are still receiving reports of this issue from players on the latest engine version(s).

I’m still receiving very frequent reports of this issue from players, so I’m not sure whether Nvidia’s explanation of a forthcoming Windows update (which should have reached the public by now) was off.

My game is on an older engine version and for stability can’t upgrade without a very rigorous QA cycle, so I’d be really grateful for any information from others with released/beta/EA games where new players are still reporting this issue.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I have faced the same problem in UE 4.20.3.
You may avoid the problem with following option in DefaultEngine.ini file.

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]

r.DefaultBackBufferPixelFormat=0

The default value is 4 which makes the engine to create default back buffers with PF_R10G10B10A2 format.
But I’ve figured out the format in fullscreen mode is not supported well on some GPUs by testing with DirectX 11 sample program.
When I ran BasicHLSL11 sample program with the corresponding pixel format of DXGI, I could see the same situation just like green flickering screen.

I think the reason is not caused by UE though, I wish Epic guys make some modifications to address the problem by changing policies to select default back buffer pixel format.

Here is the testing computer’s spec.

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
  • Memory: 32768MB RAM
  • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
  • Current Mode: 2560 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
  • Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709

I hope this helps you.