Grass tool - Control of grass placement based on painted amount?

Hey everyone,
Right now with the grass tool I am having issues where grass will spawn even with the slightest amount of grass texture/layer painted on the terrain, so basically you can barely see the landscape grass texture/layer but grass will spawn on it anyways. I would like to limit the spawning of grass to areas where the grass texture is fully painted, to avoid having grass show up on things like rock/dirt/bricks. So far I can’t seem to find any tool/parameter/function that controls how much grass is spawned based on the intensity of the grass layer.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

You can simply scale or bias the sample that you’re applying to the grass output node in the material. If you rescale your sample so that 0.4 - 1.0 becomes 0 - 1.0, then anything below 0.4 won’t spawn any grass.

Trying to accomplish this right now and I’m having trouble figuring out where to scale/bias the sample? Is this done within the material, or the preview weight of the sample node in the material, or within the grass type asset? Running some tests now, I’m just a little lost on where to go about scaling the sample.

Within the material.

You would do the following:
Starting with your sample, subtract your minimum (e.g. 0.4). Divide by 1.0-minimum (e.g. 1.0-0.4 = 0.6). Feed that into the grass output.

That worked out great, thank you! :slight_smile: