Grabbing in vr + collisions

Hi, could someone explain how to adapt the hands from vr template in a way so the held object won’t clip trough other objects (and launch into space) please?
Seb

Hey there @anonymous_user_5348c0721! Welcome to the community! So I have a resource that goes over this in a slightly outdated version. However the principles are the same. Let me know if you have any questions!

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

VR physics hands setup:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Alternatively what you could do is look into the VR expansion plugin, one of my favorites that helps you get these out of the box (as well as many other features) but to edit the features it you would need to use a tiny bit of C++ and I understand if that’s not ideal!

https://vreue4.com/features?section=expansive-gripping-system

Perfect! thank you for that info. I will have a look later today and see which solution would work for me, I have no experience with c++ but I do with other languages and I’m willing to learn so will definitely look at the plugin :slight_smile:

Awesome, let me know if you have any questions! The VR expansion plugin is basically the core of most of my VR toys because it also brings a fully replicated character component for some easy plug and play multiplayer.

After checking into it, you will have to adjust a bit of the first solution due to it’s age. Some of the comments also mention a couple of bugs that are inherent to the physical nature of that setup that I’d take heed of if possible.

I’ve tried to be clever and before I try to use the plugin i thought i will use your example from the first video (physics constrains) with the default vr pawn from the 5.1 vr template and it obviously didn’t work :man_facepalming:I’m not sure if you have looked at the default pawn but is it possible to do at all? I’d like to learn to change the value of variables between blueprints first and the default hands are more then enough for me the only issue is the clipping when handling gripped objects.
this is the error I got when I tried to modify the default pawn:
Couldn’t find bone None for ConstraintComponent /Game/VRTemplate/Maps/UEDPIE_0_VRTemplateMap.VRTemplateMap:PersistentLevel.VRPawn_C_0.RightPhysicsConstraint.

I gave it a name of the root bone of the skeletal mesh of the hand which cleared the error but it changed nothing in terms of the collisions at all from before I made changes.

also when I create a new character and follow instructions in the first video it all works lovely and as intended, of course I’d have to learn how to make the movement and animations to work with this character

Oh yeah you troubleshooted it correctly there, guess it’s a bit more outdated than expected. Personally I do recommend using your own setup for VR characters. The baseline one doesn’t have too many convenience features and when you change the hands out you’d have some retargeting work to deal with anyway.

Ok thank you! I will look up some tutorials on locomotion and hand animation and see if I can make it work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve installed the plugin and added the character, the thing is the tutorials available on how to setup the motion controllers. grab, and movement are super outdated and I’m not sure how to do it. Would you be able to share a character blueprint that you use in your projets please?

I’m under NDA for the project I have a fleshed out controller made up on, so I’d have to see if I can gut that (and get permission) to distribute. Alternatively I can spin up a small version of it, but that might take some time.