GPU Profiler does not work on OSX/mac OS

Hello!

ProfileGPU does not appear to work on OS X. Running ProfileGPU from a gpu-bound game’s console opens an empty visualizer. This occurs even after restart of the system and the editor.

Additionally, stat unit does not appear to output for GPU on OS X. Testing and Optimizing Your Content | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation shows stat unit giving times for frame, game, draw and GPU. Running stat unit on OS X only gives frame, game and draw.

41333-screen+shot+2015-05-04+at+7.31.58+pm.png

OSX 10.10.1

15in, Mid 2014

2.5GHz I7

NVIDIA geForce 750M 2048 MB

16GB RAM

UE4 version 4.7.6

There’s no GL_TIMESTAMP on OS X so there’s no GPU profiling on OS X for UE 4.7 and earlier. With some help from the GPU vendors I’ve managed to implement an emulation of this functionality for UE 4.8, so it should work from that release onward.

Wonderful - thank you. Any idea when we’ll see a stable release for 4.8?

This does not seem to be working on 4.9 anymore and it used to work on 4.8.

It works for Intel & AMD GPUs but the GL_TIMESTAMP emulation was causing regular crashes inside the Nvidia driver despite efforts to prevent it. The underlying bug won’t be fixed in 10.9 or 10.10 and as the workarounds don’t appear to be sufficient I had no choice but to disable GPU profiling again for Nvidia hardware under OS X.