GPU overheating when running UE4

Is there perhaps anyone with same R 290 design of card experiancing same issues?

CPU temp wont cause your GPU temp to be hotter, but a hot GPU and a hot CPU can indicate cooling issues with the case. I’d suggest re-doing the thermal paste first, I was just trying to see if there was anything else you could do to help.

Do you use SLI?
Tried you disconnecting for testing a single one?
I personal stay far away from any ATI or AMD products, since i do UE.

80 Celsius is not hot for a blower style R9 290 at 100% load, they are designed to run up to 95 before throttling.

Annoying and loud as hell though, even my Asus DCII 290 gets up to 70ish but my fan never goes above 50%

Wow, my GTX 980 Ti has never gone above 75 C :confused:

I know they are designed to take that kick, but human ears arent designed to take that on normal basis. I could load my fans to 100% and avoid that problem, but thats not how things operate on nature basis.

If you put 2 R9290 in your case directly next to each other, thats just how it is. Thats almost 600 watts of heat when they would both be fully loaded. Obviously, fans won’t be super quite while cooling them. If you don’t like loud fans, buy 2 water coolers for your GPU. Or just increase the temperature limit so that they are not cooled down to only 80°C, but more like 95°, since that should be still fine.

I have a R9 390, and it never goes above 65°C in UE4, even if I fully load it. Its the same GPU like yours, but I only have 1 of them, while you have 2 next to each other.

Also, if reapplying the thermal paste doesn’t work, you could sell one GPU and buy a version of the same card but with better cooling, and leave the second old card on the bottom PCI slot where it would get more air.

Yep perhaps it would make sense to sell one GPU, i dont use it most of the time anyways.

85c is perfectly acceptable. These cards won’t throttle until 105c. A good aftermarket design would make them run cooler, but your cards aren’t overheating.

I had an old Radeon 4850 that run in the 90s for years, eventually I replaced it but never had any problems.

I’ve seen this as well, a lot of UE4 game despite not being that visually impressive really stress my 3080.

It’s kind of annoying, I’m already undervolting my 3080 but if I start almost any UE4 game, within minutes it’s at 80C and you can hear the GPU funs getting up-to 2000rpm.

Airflow is fine, I can manually control the 140mm front case fans with a touch of a button, but usually only do this when overclocking, testing. Not when undervolted at normal gaming settings.

I try not to approve too many necro posts, but given the cost of GPU’s right now…

From what I’ve read/seen online, they run hot in general, regardless of application.
Discussions that mention hitting 80° or more quickly switch to one about cooling instead.

Could always run the Uniengine benchmark or similar, turn on/off features until you find one that ramps up the temperature like crazy :thinking: .
If that is a standard UE4 feature, it’d explain the issue 3080 owners are facing, at least with UE4 based games.

Hello. Can I ask you how to reduce FPS for UE4?