GPU Drivers failing after 4.11.1 update

Since updating to v4.11.1 my GPU drivers (nVidia 364.72) have started to fail. It’s triggered by compiling code, running the game, saving Blueprints, and so on.

In the latest log file, I came across this:

Error: Direct3DDevice->CreateTexture2D(TextureDesc,SubResourceData,OutTexture2D) failed 
 at D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++UE4+Release-4.11\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Texture.cpp:432 
 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, 
 Size=256x256x1 Format=DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_TYPELESS(0x0000005A), NumMips=1, Flags=D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE 

Is this error triggered because of the driver failing? Hence the “Device Removed” part?

Hi jamiewhitephd.

Yes this does seem to be a driver crash, and generally there isn’t anything that can be done engine-side to resolve that, but we have had a few users say they experience driver problems after they updated to 4.11, so we are following up. We haven’t been able to reproduce any issue internally, so we’d appreciate if you could share some additional information. What is your Operating System, and what graphics card are you using?

Also, is there any reproduction case that causes a driver crash 100% of the time for you?

Thanks

No worries - I’m on Windows 10 64-bit, GTX 780ti, dual screen setup :slight_smile:

Thanks. I had just made an edit to my comment a few minutes before you responded (so you probably didn’t see it). Is there any reproduction case that causes a driver crash 100% of the time for you?

That’s ok - to be honest it’s been totally random, but mainly any window thats rendering something, like a Blueprint editor viewport for example. I’ve uninstalled my drivers, performed a clean with CCleaner and re-installed… so far so good.

Has Any one found a solution for this?? I am in dire straits!!

Hi folks

If your drivers are failing (or any other Windows related issue), I suggest following through this guide to get more information regarding what the issue on your system may be.

Cheers

Thanks! For me I was able to get things working by upgrading the 4.12 preview!

My problem has returned. I’m on 4.11.2 at the moment, using nVidia driver 365.19.

Same error, repeatedly. It is becoming very frustrating to use the engine at the moment.

This is from my Windows event viewer:

\D3D11RHI\Private\Windows\WindowsD3D11Device.cpp] [Line: 416] #The Direct3D 11 device that was bein
P10: ++UE4+Release-4.11!S:/Program Installations/Epic Games/4.11/Engine/Binaries/Win64/!Editor!2946394