Good enough PC setutp for UE4 game development and video recording

Hi devs!

I put together a PC setup for UE4, I need to be able to produce good quality videos, and work on my game without any fps drops, or any lag, and I need UE4 to work fast. (Not like on my current laptop, where it needs 2-3 minutes just to compile 50-60 shaders, and I have to work on the lowest engine settings with like 20 fps…)

My current setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700x
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V series 16GB

Please tell me your honest opinion about this setup, and if you do, how would you upgrade it? my budget is around $1000.

I prefer Intel to AMD anyway. If you need what you wrote there for real “without any fps drops, or any lag, and I need UE4 to work fast” … then your $1000 budget won’t be enough.
If you want an AMD system then you should get a AMD Threadripper 1920X or 2920X that has Quad-Channel DDR4 support. (and obviously with Intel you should get a Core i9 LGA2066 for Quad-Channel DDR4 support).
And 32GB RAM is the bare minimum too, nowadays RAM is still very expensive but reports are telling that a 20% to 30% price decrease should happen for both RAM and SSD in the first two quarters of 2019 and later.
For storage … you can just get a 480GB or 1TB SSD and that’s it. But if you would really want no lags then you should save money to buy some expensive Hardware SAS RAID-5/6/50/60 controllers like the Microsemi Adaptec ones for example. Older Series7 and Series8 ones can be bought used and fully working on eBay (adding a fan on the heatsink is needed without rack 1U/2U servers systems).
GTX1060 is a fine card …heck I am still using a GTX 970 (with 32GB RAM on an old LGA2011-0 6-core system so Quad-Channel and Adaptec Series 7 Hardware RAID SAS controller) but a GTX1070 would obviously be better and more future proof.

Wow thank you for the fast reply! Then it seems like I need to spare more money for it. I’ll look up everything about the hardware you recommended me, thanks.
​​​​​​