Goat Herd

Hello everyone, I’m proud to announce the release of Goat Herd in the Unreal Marketplace.

YouTube Demo Link

Goat Herd features herding behavior with leader and follower Goats. These Goats have a Health and Stamina System and use a full AI Controller, Blackboard and Behavior Tree Environment. They keep track of and run from Enemy Actors that they see using the Perception system. You can also play as a Goat.

Leader Goat - These Goats will roam to random Goat Path Targets you place around your level. They will take breaks to graze and Idle, then move on to the next Goat Path Target. As they move around they will lose stamina (at an adjustable rate). When out of Stamina they will rest. They will keep track of all actors with an Enemy Tag in their Perception range and run from the nearest Enemy.

Follower Goat - These Goats will keep an eye out for a leader Goat to follow as they roam to random Goat Path Nodes. Follower Goats will become tied to the first Leader that they encounter. If their leader dies they will be on the lookout for a new leader. Follower Goats will also run from Actors with an Enemy Tag, and once clear of the Enemy they will regroup with their Leader. Follower Goats will also rest but only when the Leader does, so they rest and sleep as a group.

Non-Grouping Goat - These Goats will act as lone solo Goats without care for leaders or followers. Non grouping Goats will have the same behavior as a leader Goat without having followers.
Goat_Herd_Splash

Technical Details

Goat Herd v1.0 Includes:

• (2) Rigged and Animated Goat Skeletal Meshes (Male Goat & Female Goat)
  • (3) Horn sizes
  • (85) Animations (in-place and rootMotion)
  • (2) Animation Blueprints (NPC Goat & Play as Goat)
  • (4) 2D Blendspaces
  • (16) NPC Goat Character Blueprints with 1 Parent Class
  • (3) Game Modes
  • (7) LOD’s
  • (2) Physics Asset
  • Play As a Goat
  • Herding Behavior
  • Health and Stamina System
  • Blackboard, Behavior Tree and AI Controller
  • Ragdoll when out of health

Goat Herd is now available in the Unreal Marketplace.

1 Like

Not sure why the video was so cute but it really made my day. The little guys look great!

Thanks for sharing it here on the forums :slight_smile:

Will this work with a 4.26 project? Is there a possibility you will update this to make it 4.26 compatible?

No unfortunately Goat Heard will not work in 4.26. Goat Herd is compatible with 4.27 and above.

Hi, I’m very impressed with your work. Do you do freelancing? I sent you an email.

How to Swap out the Goats with other meshes.

Hi there, I’m very impressed by the system! I would like to change this to work for a herd of reindeer but am having difficulty. I’ve made an anim BP for the reindeer, but am not sure how to make the swap. Taking one of the goat NPC blueprints and changing the skeletal mesh and anim class leaves me with a reindeer on top of a goat when dropped into the scene with immediate problems with the collider/capsule component. What steps would you advise? Is there a way to edit the capsule collider? Or is my approach way off the mark. Look forward to hearing from you and hoping there is a solution

I got this question on the forums and thought the info could help others using Goat Herd so i’m posting it here.

You should be editing the BP_NPC_Goat_Base.
Just a few steps- first open the “BP_NPC_Goat_Base”
In the EventGraph delete the whole box that deals with the Ear and Tail Floppyness as this is just for the Goat Meshes.

Next in the Construction Script delete the Set Leader node- once again its just for the Goat meshes.

Next move to the Viewport and delete the Horns and udder meshes, and the main Mesh will be swapped out with your custom Skeletal Mesh.

Swap out the Mesh with yours and assign your animation blueprint.

Thats it, try dragging that into your level and test it out, you will still need to add Goat path nodes to your level and the navmesh. Let me know how this worked for you or if you have any more issues, I’m glad your liking Goat Herd. :slight_smile: