GLTF import only animations not showing project content, potentially caused by Asset Referencing Restriction plugin

UE5 : 5.3.2-29314046+++UE5+Release-5.3

When I try to select a pre-existing skeleton for importing animations no project content shows up.

In a different project I did a test to see if the GLTF importer is broken, but the list does get populated. That stops working when I enable Asset Referencing Restriction plugin. Just like my current project the list is no longer populated with existing skeletons.

FBX importer does not seem to have this issue. Skeletons show up fine.

Steps to reproduce

• Sanity check

• Anywhere under your content import a skeleton/skeleton mesh with GLTF
    • Import a different GLTF file, you should be able to select the previously imported skeleton
  • Edit > Plugins > Enable Asset Referencing Restriction plugin

• Restart

• Import a GLTF again, the skeleton list should now be empty. Only engine content is allowed

It is unclear if GLTF interchange plugin is not properly handeling the referencing restriction/policy or that the referencing restriction plugin is at fault here.

This is how the policy is currently configured:

If there is a way to exclude GLTF Interchange in the restriction rules please let me know. But it does look like a bug since FBX importer works correctly.

Why not just disable the plugin:
I do work on this project, I am not the owner and the plugins are needed per their resquest. But I prefer GLTF over FBX because I solely use Blender. FBX exporter in Blender has issues and is more trouble than it’s worth for my workflow.

Can you test in 5.4 version of the engine? It should be fixed there.

Before I test any of that will there be a fix for 5.3?
I don’t know if we are going to upgrade this project to 5.4, and I don’t know if we should.

Alternatively as a workaround is there anything in the Interchange cpp files I can change locally so that it completely ignores the restriction policy?

Actually not sure it will make the 5.4.
The fix is in this commit in the main branch if you want to try to bring it back on your 5.3
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/1ef2779f04f864d37fae5a19e5cbb5b43e102d4e

1 Like

That commit relies on InterchangeManager.h/cpp and UInterchangeAssetImportDataConverterBase which aren’t in the fix you sent and affects a bunch of files.
So it has become a bit more of a hassle than it might be worth and I don’t want to play too much with UE5 source files.

The current work around is to
duplicate an animation → reimport with new source/file → rename

So before I close this topic are any of these fixes in the main branch going to merged into 5.3?