Global Shader Map DDC Crash on Startup - 5.4.4

Everything was working fine until my GPU crashed, causing my laptop to reboot just as the editor loaded. GPU has crashed plenty of times before without issues.

I’ve completely uninstalled UE 5.4 and reinstalled it.
I deleted the DerivedDataCache folder in the project, though it wouldn’t matter since it was empty.
I’ve deleted project intermediate files.

Saw a similar issue here Unreal engine 5.0.3 launcher stuck at 17% - General / Feedback & Requests - Epic Developer Community Forums but I’m not doing VR development, so their fix isn’t applicable.

I tried creating a brand new fresh project, same issue.

Now this only seems to apply to any new project and my tutorial project (for creating tutorials), the game project that I’ve been working on, also UE 5.4.4, works fine and its DDC folder has plenty of stuff in it.

Here’s the error itself that gets thrown for both the new empty project and the tutorials project:

Assertion failed: InHashSize > 0u && InHashSize <= 0x10000 [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\HashTable.h] [Line: 489]

UnrealEditor_RenderCore!THashTable<TMemoryImageAllocator<0> >::CopyUnfrozen() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\HashTable.h:473]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!TStaticGetTypeLayoutHelper<THashTable<TMemoryImageAllocator<0> > >::CallUnfrozenCopy() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\HashTable.h:631]
UnrealEditor_Core!Freeze::DefaultUnfrozenCopy() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Serialization\MemoryImage.cpp:891]
UnrealEditor_Core!Freeze::DefaultUnfrozenCopy() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Serialization\MemoryImage.cpp:891]
UnrealEditor_Core!FMemoryImageResult::LoadFromArchive() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Serialization\MemoryImage.cpp:1729]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FShaderMapBase::Serialize() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\ShaderMap.cpp:192]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FGlobalShaderMapSection::CreateFromArchive() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\GlobalShader.cpp:568]
UnrealEditor_Engine!CompileGlobalShaderMap() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\ShaderCompiler\ShaderCompiler.cpp:9967]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::PreInitPreStartupScreen() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:3365]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:136]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:118]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:258]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:298]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [D:\a\_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

I’m not sure on what to try next

Edit: After further testing, I created different projects with different options, I’m only getting the issue when I create a project with Ray Tracing enabled. Otherwise, it seems to work fine, which is ok for me.

Edit 2: So it’s caused by something that gets enabled with 1 or more of these config values

r.SkinCache.CompileShaders=True
r.RayTracing=True
r.RayTracing.Shadows=True
r.Lumen.HardwareRayTracing=True

Edit 3: I’ve narrowed it down further, adding

r.SkinCache.CompileShaders=True

works fine but it fails as soon as

r.RayTracing=True

is added

I remember having the same problem and having to start it over to get it to work.