Global and Custom Time Dilation weird behaviours

Are you using a Spring Component (Camera Boom) on the character with camera lag?
Because that could be the issue in that case because if you slow down time then the camera lags super slow, i had that issue and had to use a curve to speed up the camera lag depending on how much slow motion was added.

Otherwise something must’ve gone wrong when you are setting the custom time dilation because it should work with for instance setting the character to 2 if the global is 0.5. Is there a null reference or anything by any chance, or are your character physics based?
Because Physics Based actors can’t get a custom time dilation if you set the global to be something, they have to have whatever the global is set as if remember correctly.

I do exactly that for my game where you can slow down time but the character doesn’t get slowed down:

I have not yet added particles at the moment, but I will dilate them when needed. I hope I’ll can implement some custom dilation!

Hi @nameLive !

Thanks for your help!

I tried without camera lag and it’s the same.
Currently I do not use any physics.

I checked the values from Get Actor Time Dilation, Get Custom Time Dilation, and Get Global Time Dilation, and they are all at the good value and at the good moment.

For the moment, I’m going to use Custom Time Dilation because it is more relevant for my game. But like I said, some timers aren’t affected.

Yeah if you’re not using Physic then i guess custom time dilation will do.

What is nice with Global however is that things like particles will also get slowed down.

Some new elements :

I created a new empty actor with a Timer and a Timeline.
The Timer is looped every 1 second. The Timeline is played from start in the Timer Event and goes from 0 to 1 in 1 second.

If I modify the Global Time Dilation, the Timer and the Timeline are affected.
If I modify the Custom Time Dilation, the Timer ignore it but the Timeline is affected.

But why?!

Timelines are components, so they might use the global time dilation like spring arm and its camera lag does. There is a Ignore Time Dilation inside of the Timeline that you can check that will make it work :wink:

1 Like

Someone on the forum answer me that Timers are managed by a Timer Manager which ignore Custom Time Dilation… And this is my problem.

I solved the problem with the use of Global Time Dilation and the use of some Custom Time Dilation.
I used some World Delta Seconds in my Camera actors and these variable are modified by the Global Time Dilation, no matter where they are called. So I used the time compensation on them too!

Other tips : Timers are not affected by Custom Time Dilation. And we need to use a minimal value of 0.0001 for Global Time Dilation in order to be able to modify some actors with Custom Time Dilation (because they are multiplicated!).

Thank you for help!

1 Like

Could you please explain the steps? It’s really annoying, and I can’t really understand