I’ve only done basic things with git and having trouble figuring out how to work with the UE4 repository.
- I’m editing engine code
- I’d like to be able to update to new engine versions / bleeding-edge
- Would like my base to be 4.8 code
I found git to be difficult to learn by doing, since you f*ck things up if you do something wrong, and working with a huge codebase such as UE4 is even more annoying - 1 ****up and you need to d/l 4gb again.
So #2… Someone with experience with git should be able to point me to the commands I need from A-Z. telling me “just branch and merge” doesn’t help much since there are 1000 ways to do 1 thing in git
This is what i’ve figured
- Fork the UE4 to my own repo
- Clone the repo with git clone [myrepo]
- run git checkout -b 4.8 origin/4.8
- it downloads 2gb
- git remote add upstream https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git
- git branch -b mychanges to create a new branch with my changes
- when i want to update from new version: git fetch upstream & git merge upstream/4.9
good? no? sucks? help!!