Hello every body !
I work on a game with a very small team and we just started to work with git.
Here’s what we have now :
- A server with git (provide by microsoft : vsts)
- On this, we have a repo in witch we have uploaded the needed files of the project with tortoise git (we use the typical .gitignore for UE4)
- We can do anything we want with tortoise (push or pull from/to the server)
Of course, we can already work this way but we are trying to enabled the source control in the editor.
And doing so, we figure that there’s a lot af thing we don’t understand.
This is what I found on the doc page : https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest…SourceControl/ :
There’s a vocabulary problem :
- the Depot is the online repo ?
- What means check out / in ? Am I wrong to say that a checked out asset is kind of reserved by the user who checked it out and can’t be modified by other users ? And we need to check it in to free this asset ?
- When I try to save a checked out file, I’ve got an error but when I checked it in, it is saved locally. We don’t use the save button with source control activated ?
- under the ! icon, I read “newer version of file exist in source control” and that’s where I realize that I don’t know what’s source control is… Is it the online repo ?
- Then, what’s a depot ? Is it also the online repo ?
- I don’t get the difference between push file on the repo and “commit”.
When I check a file out, the information somehow go through the git online repo to lock the file in other users editor ?
When I check it In, it is saved locally but I still need to push the newer files on the repo with tortoise, no ?
The tests we did are not very conclusive but we may be totally wrong on how to use it…
Now, we just use tortoise to update the repo with the files we build locally and inform the other users through discord on what we are working on
To be short, can you give me a quick look at how we should use the source control… Or point me to a documentation that explain it to someone who is a real beginner (every thing I found on this subject concern people how do know what source control is).
BTW, the git plugin in the editor is the same thing as the plugin develop by SRombauts (https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve…rovider-plugin) or I should install this ?