Git Noobie Too - How does this magic work?!

Hi there everyone.

Just made my first edit of the source files and I was wondering what the hell to do next.

So I downloaded the Github for Windows, Downloaded the repo (It downloaded them all aparently). I opened Master and then opened it in Explorer. I made the edits I need to do. But how do I now submit these changes to Epic?

I feel so dumb but if someone were to point me in the right direction, I’d be extremely pleased!

• Ryan

Push it to your repo and create a pull request from there.
Also Epic recommends creating pull request into the master branch.

So push it (I have no idea what you mean, But I’ll give it a google!) to my repo and then P.R to the Master, right?

Sorry about the questions, Just want to make sure I don’t mess anything up. This is my first time dabbling in this voodoo magic!

Or, one application that has been immensely helpful for our artists is a program called SourceTree(http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/)

Instead of doing things on the command line, or using the horribly designed Git Gui, this source browser makes working with Git a lot easier.

https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1

There is no way around it, unless you learn the git fundamentals, using a GUI will only bring you so far. As soon as you hit a problem you’ll be clueless. I’ve included an interactive git tutorial above. Yes, it is command line, but it is the easiest and fastest way to properly learn how git works, unless you like copying StackOverflow posts.

Just to confirm, are you actually wanting to have your alterations looked at by the Epic team and then potentially integrated into a future release of the engine?
If you simply want to make use of the modified engine yourself, you don’t need to make a pull request. You just build the engine, and switch your project file association over to your source-built version. Then you can checkout future updates from Epic as and when you like, and merge them with your modified version.

thanks for the tutorial Shammah… Git confuses me as well. Think it is just the terminology. Used to SVN, but Git seems like a strange monster.

I agree, git is a complete pain in the **** compared to all the other version control systems I’ve used. Uses completely different terminology too. Bleh.

Hi Ryan,

You probably want to check out the pro git book which is free to download from here, it can be a longish read but covers everything you will need.

Andrew.

Edit: By free to download I mean the author allows you to download it free, though there is a printed copy if you prefer to buy it.