Getting Started with AI Live Training Help

Hi all,

I am following a long to the ‘Getting Started with AI’ live training video and I have reached about the 1hr 11min mark where the AI will chase the player, however for me the AI does not chase me and continues to cycle through the Random Location Movement sequence.

I have debugged this in the behaviour tree and the blackboard based condition is failing as there is no TargetActor set.

My issue is I don’t know where I should be defining this. The in the tutorial itself they have a similar issue where it is rectified by setting the ‘IsUsable?’ checkbox to true, however this has not resolved the issue for me.

298305-fig3.png

This leads me to believe that the issue may be in the ‘Is Usable’ variable however tracing it back I cannot see anything that looks wrong in either the ‘UsableThing’ Interface where it is defined;

Or the two other references to it both set IsUsable? in the TopDownCharacter event graph;

and get IsUsable? In the TopDownCharacter Can Use Interface.

Does any one have any idea what I might have done wrong? I’m expecting it to be something really small and annoying somewhere but I don’t have any ideas.

Thanks

Hi,

Since you are using the target actor as condition, you need to set it at some point, may it be when your pawn see the player or any other event.

To set the blackboard key, it is different if you do it in a task or in an actor.
Here it sets the value from the AI character :

And from inside a task :

Set it to nothing and your pawn will return to his patroll.
Don’t forget to check all your tasks and decorator in the BT, they need to have correct keys associated

Thanks for that, you got me on the right track - the problem wasn’t that I hadn’t set the name in the name key.