Getting icons from data asset to show in HUD

Hey all, really hoping anyone on here could please be of any assistance. I’m just gonna start of by clarifying that I’m still fairly new to these things with HUD and data assets (been mostly focused on world building during the, relatively, short time I’ve been using Unreal). I’m gonna do my best in setting the scene and describing what I’m after here;

I’m basing this project of mine on an asset from the marketplace, and it uses data assets instead of tables.

First you have ItemDataBase as the primary data asset, then WeaponBase, then GunBase and after that all of the individual unique weapon data assets.

There is one main “pickup” blueprint for weapons that you just put in the world and then on each instance of it just plug in the data asset of your choice into to make it into a specific weapon. Each unique data asset has all the info on what weapon it represents, including an inventory icon.

The inventory is capped at 3, after which on each pickup you start swapping the currently equipped weapon with the one being picked up, and the array is indexed 0, 1, 2.

My HUD has 3 slots in which I would like the inventory icons to show up, based on what weapon is currently in those slots. So the upmost slot should always show the inventory icon of the weapon currently inside of the inventory slot index 0, the middle slot shows index 1, and so on.

I think I’m starting to go insane after trying just about anything and everything to make it work on my own, but I just can’t figure it out. I am, once again, a noob at this, so if I “asked the question wrong” or am unclear in my description of the problem I’m sorry. Some guidance would be very much appreciated in that case.

i cannot figure out what the problem is. I tried to get chatgpt to figure out what the problem is and all it can say is that a beginner has a problem and needs assistance.

It’s probably a case where some pictures would be worth 1,000 words. What is the expectation and what is the reality. In other words, show what you expect to happen, and show what is actually happening right now.

My general guidance is if you cannot very easily explain the problem, that means you are probably trying to tackle too much all at once. If you are dealing with many moving pieces, its good to reduce how much you are juggling and tackle it by simplifying the whole process.

So instead of trying to manage complex data flow from various assets to a UI, just first focus on populating a UMG from an array. You can put the array right inside the widget.

Once that part is working, you know that the display end of things is good. Then you can focus on the other side of the problem which is getting data to the display end.

Divide and conquer is the idea, rather than fighting on many fronts all at once.