Getting direction for blendspace animation

I’m trying out the animal variety pack from the marketplace: ANIMAL VARIETY PACK in Characters - UE Marketplace and each animal has a walk/run left and right animations and i’m having trouble making them work when using an AI moveto.

I noticed there was a similiar thread here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/animation/37439-calculate-direction-node-for-blendspace-direction but it’s fairly old and i’m not sure if there is a better way to do this.

I created a blendspace for the animations from -180 to 180, with the turns being run at 45 degrees. The problem is the wolf character will always run towards my character in the run animation and it won’t play the run left/right animation when it is running towards my character at an angle.

I printed out the direction variable and it seems to get a certain direction, i.e -55, but it will immediately reset to 0. I’m not sure if I should be doing this in the blendspace or in the locomation and play the left/right animation depending on a direction variable instead.