Getting custom event in held item?

I am currently working on a system that will automatically find the blueprint class of the item that the player picks up (Held Item actor) and begin a custom event inside the item’s blueprint.

The problem that I am having is that the Weapon Shooting System is currently built in a way that I have to K2Node Dynamic Cast to the Held Item’s blueprint to execute the custom event within said blueprint.

What I need is a way to execute the custom event inside the blueprint of whatever the current Held Item actor is without having to manually cast to every single blueprint (because I plan on having multiple items/weapons in the game).

The Weapon Shooting System is in 1 blueprint, the custom event (Start Shooting) is in several other blueprints. I need a way of determining the Held Item blueprint and then starting its Start Shooting custom event without casting a million times. Because I COULD program a million IF statements, but I feel like there’s a much better and efficient way.

I had heard that interfaces were the way to go for my sort of problem, but I have had quite a bit of difficulty getting them to work because I’m a bit of a noob. That’s not to say I’m opposed to using them if they are the solution.

Any/all help would be very much appreciated!

1 Like

This is what blueprint interfaces are for

3 Likes