Get Rotation OF Spline Point

Hi

I’m looking for a way to get the rotation of a spline point. The node: Get Rotation At Spline Point returns the Splines rotation at the point and not the rotation Of the point.

I need the rotation of a spline point itself and not the spline.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Spline paths in Unreal Engine aren’t bezier splines. They are Cubic splines.

Cubic Spline paths always pass through the plotted points. This means that when you sample the rotation using Get Rotation At Spline Point, you are getting an accurate rotation of the point itself, not just the path!

Cubic Spline

Bezier Spline

Hm, I must be doing something else wrong then. Mine is returning 0 in Z axis when using Get Rotation At Spline Point,

Blank Project, placing a spline, making the second point -100 below the first Z axis, and rotating it 45 degrees in Z axis.

I then print the rotation value for the second spline point in Construction Script using Get Rotation At Spline Point

Which then prints this:

352040-spline03.png

Maybe I’m being a donkey and forgetting something, but I can’t seem to get the rotation of the second point this way.

Thanks for your help

I just made a spline ( blueprint ), and gave it two extra points. I can rotate the points, and read the rotation with:

What am I missing?

352076-splinerot.gif

Hi, thanks for replying.

What you did works, however it did not follow my steps for what Im trying to do. I am not moving the spline in viewport, editor or runtime. I’m setting it in the spline settings as pictured above. If you are using Unreal Engine 4.27 and follow my steps above the same should happen.

It has become clear that this must be a bug of some sort. In the following gif, I will display the problem I am having that led me to think the spline was the one returning the rotation instead of the points, rotation will return fine if the spline is Bending, but not if the spline is not moved. No matter how i rotate the spline in the Z axis, it returns 0 and will continue doing so during runtime.

And this is where it gets wierd. If I grab the point and then rotate it in viewport, it will start working normally, but keep the offset rotation of the initial rotated input.

So apparently I will have to manually move the point in viewport first before editing its values to make it work. Otherwise it would not even work during runtime. I am assuming this is just another bug in 4.27… Please Epic…

Thanks both for your input, made me find a workaround for the issue.

I just tried to replicate the problem that you are having in 4.27; Everything that I had tried is working correctly. It seems to be a local bug on your system. Perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling or verifying the installation.

This is strange… I have reinstalled Epic Games Launcher along with Unreal Engine on both machines, but it is still happening if done in the same order I did.

Just so its clear if i explained it poorly, i made a gif showing the setup of the spline.

If you follow this exactly and still don’t get the same result as me, then I’m really at a loss.

I got a friend with a clean Unreal installation to try the exact same, and it happened to him also.
I will be marking this as solved, and perhaps file a bug report to Unreal.

If anyone in the future encounters the same issue, make sure you rotate the spline in viewport first, and the values should start working after.

Thanks guys!