Download

Get Data Table Row dynamically selected table does not allow specific row values.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get the specific output row values from Get Data Table Row if you are selecting the table dynamically?

You can see if the screenshots that if I manually set the data table that it give me the specific output values to link, however, if I select it dynamically (by variable or using make/break data table row handle) it doesn’t seem to know what output row values to allow.

I would like to be able to create a function out of my Get Data Table Row and subsequent steps but it doesn’t appear that this is possible.

No, and I believe that even the devs have stated that there are no plans on implementing it. Because the table forms a struct or sorts, the output of that struct must be etched in stone and isn’t capable of being dynamically changed. At least not with blueprints.

I went about it like this:

• I created a Structure of my own for the data tables
  • I created a number of data tables based on this structure
  • In my BP, I set-up lists of Data-tables which I want to then select dynamically and read the corresponding values
  • I set-up a function in my BP and assign the list of Data tables as input
  • In the function, I create a local variable with data type of my own structure
  • when I implement the “Read Data Table Row” node, I assign one possible data table to the data table type field of the node and connect the output node to a set-node for the local variable of my own structure. The structure of the output node and the structure of the variable match.
  • I compile
  • I replace the manually chosen value for the data table with the dynamic value from the BP by connecting the corresponding line
  • I compile again
  • Now, I can continue connecting my local variable to wherever I need it and compile again and so on.

It is a bit of a work around, but it works around the problem. There is no function that would allow to check the data struture of a given data table (there is no “cast-to” for data tables). But like this, the output structure question can be tricked.

I use this set-up to randomly set textures and morph targets for my NPC’s such that I get a bit of a variability.