Get Amount/Intensity of Ambient Light around an Actor/Pawn

Hi All.

Is there a method in blueprints to check the ambient light intensity that is currently affecting the Actor/Pawn?

I know how to set the intensity on the Sun or say a candle light…but to check what the intensity is I have no idea. Could be multiple light sources affecting the Actor/Pawn.
Since the shadow is present…there should be a way to check this.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Finally a topic that has stumped the UE4 genius’ ?

Currently the only thing I can do is use the Sun’s Intensity and then if at Night or in and Interior classified area get a light source within 10m and use that. Not very scientific but does work. Any other ideas?

Cheers

I think this has been discussed before. Someone was doing a stealth based game and wanted to see about shadow/light ect. I think the general consensus is that it couldn’t be done like that but had to use volumes (sphere / square) and begin-end overlaps.

I see. I think this is fine. What I can do is somewhat of a work-around that I did in NWScript (NWN1) where you could not Get something (easily/efficiently) without a reference to it. You have no idea the object exists until it does so doing endless searches is a waste of resources. So what I did in a very efficient heartbeat I simply send out a ping in a radius of whatever that object is configured for. Whatever object receives this can do whatever it wants with the information.

Basically…'Hey There! My Light Color is … and my Intensity is 0.76"… This would be a simple matter to gather light or any unknown hiding data somewhere.

Thank you for the reply. I shall implement this technique and not look back. :slight_smile:

Cheers

There’s also an attenuation parameter, so you could calculate the falloff of light by considering intensity, distance from the pawn and attenuation. Maybe.

Hmm…interesting idea. The Light Object sends out a ping with info and sends that value as well. Simple get distance between the object and ratio the intensity. Not a bad idea at all.

Thanks!