Gerel:Against The Corvus Empire

Hey there folks!

I’ve been developing this game for some time now and wanted to create a thread to share progress and updates with the Unreal Engine community!
Below is general information about the game, followed by development updates I’ve made on social media and itch.io. I’ve got some big announcements and content updates coming soon and I can’t wait to share them here with the community.

What is Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire?

‘Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire’ is a 2D Pixel Art Platformer with Metroidvania elements.

What is the premise of the story?

The game revolves around a Mother’s journey to save her children from the clutches of evil.

Our story takes place in the land of Muur, a once proud and accomplished civilization that was invaded by the Corvus Empire. Now, many generations later, the descendants of the survivors eke out a meagre existence on the outskirts of the ruins of their once-great capital.

You play as Gerel, an inhabitant of the land of Muur​. Left to raise your children alone after your husband was killed at the hands of the Corvus guards who raided your little homestead. One day after foraging for food, you return home to find that your children are missing.

On your journey to find them you will explore the land of Muur, meet its inhabitants, brave its dangers and fight against the Corvus Empire.

Current State of Development

‘Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire’ is currently in active development. Development is split into three phases.
The first phase of development has just concluded, at the end of which a prototype was assembled with the systems designed and implemented to date. At present, there are builds available for Windows, Linux and macOS. Graphics, sound and story elements are placeholder and not representative of the final product.

Prototype Gameplay Video:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=mT64eWjAtwU

Where can I download the prototype?:

You’ll find builds of the prototype available for download on Windows, macOS and Linux on the itch.io link below.
https://overwrite-games.itch.io/gere…-corvus-empire

Update 1:

Phase 2 of development on ‘Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire’ is well underway and a number of features have already been completed.

**New Movement Mechanics! **
New movement mechanics have already been added! Wall grabbing, sliding and wall jumping. Allowing players to scale walls and get to places they couldn’t reach before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO-zuYKMIOs

**Searchables, action prompts and notifications. Oh my! **
Searchables are items placed in the world that the player can search and will yield quest items, health, energy, collectables or consumables etc. Action prompts will notify the player when they can perform an action in proximity to an object or NPC. Notifications will let the player know when they’ve accepted or completed quests and when they’ve collected important items.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=caY9nzTv5No

**Doors, Doors, Doors! **
Doors will come in different shapes, sizes (some even hidden!) and will smoothly transition the player into and out of building interiors, caves and dungeons etc. Had way too much fun working on this feature!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwX-hSHD4FI

Hey, did you guys see that too?!
Buffs will grant temporary ability boosts, perception buffs change the way you see the world. Revealing hidden doors, creatures & items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fFzLeIl-Bg

What is a platformer without moving platforms?
Added horizontal and vertical moving platforms, both automated and player-controlled!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9yY0MxYZ_iA

**Hang in there! **
Spiced up the custom camera controller with some camera shake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l2_TDw_5nM

2 Likes

​Hey there folks!

I’m back with another development update.

We may have been quiet on the development front recently but work has continued behind the scenes and we’ll have more to share in the coming weeks.

I’m super excited to share that we’ve been accepted into the ID@Xbox program and that ‘Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire’ will be releasing on Xbox One and Series X/S consoles when it’s finished.

The development hardware has arrived and the prototype is already running smoothly!

And now for a few highlights from this week’s progress:

Hold on tight!
Added spline path-based movement for moving platforms. Movement can be automated or player-controlled

A little to the right…no, wait! A little to the left…
Moveable objects will form part of quests, puzzles & environment challenges. Placeholder art aside it’s shaping up nicely!

Hey! Didn’t I kill you already?!
The ‘NPC Spawn Manager’ will help keep the world populated, taking care of healing and respawning enemy NPCs.

I look forward to sharing more in the next development update! If you’re interested, won’t you please consider following the project?

1 Like

Hey there folks!

Development continues to move along smoothly. Here are a few highlights from this week’s progress!

A place for everything & everything in its place!
The groundwork for moveable object puzzles is done. Solving puzzles will trigger rewards & much more!
The programmer art is real.

Here’s looking at you!:wink:
Camera controller functionality has been extended to allow players to smoothly look up and down.

Throw the switch!
Work on lever based puzzles has been completed.
Solving puzzles will also trigger cutscenes and other events.

That’s it for this week, I can’t wait to share more in the next development update! If you like what you see, why not consider following the project?

2 Likes

Hey there folks!
Back with a new update post, super excited to share some more development highlights and some awesome concept art!

Our concept artist Dogyeong Lee has been lovingly crafting the world of Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire. We’re so proud to share her work and more, starting with this cover art!

Here’s a closer look at our protagonist Gerel, fully geared and combat-ready.

This is a Corvus Empire Guard, they’re fast and temperamental. Best proceed with caw-tion! :wink:

Check out Dogyeong’s Artstation and Twitter to see more of her work!

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/djosephinelee

Artstation:

Puuuush!
Push/Pull moveable object-based puzzles have been implemented, rounding out the ‘Moveables’ portion of the puzzle system.

Have at you!
Combat elements are now a part of the puzzle system. Sometimes the puzzle is figuring out how you’re going to get out alive :thinking:

That’s all for this update! Feel free to comment and let us know your thoughts. If you like what you see, why not consider following the project?

1 Like

Hey there folks!

Just popping by with a quick update before the weekend.
Excited to share with you that we’re now a registered PlayStation Partner and that ‘Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire’ will also be releasing on PlayStation 4 & 5 consoles when it’s finished!

We’re also about to embark on a major visual overhaul of the game, in order to bring it more in line with the concept art and overall vision for the final look and feel of the game. So there will be plenty of updates in the coming weeks and months.

If you like the project want to help support it, you can do so by following us on Twitter or Itch.io .

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/OverwriteInter

Itch:

2 Likes

Hey there folks!

It’s been a while since the last update on the game. This is just a short post to share that a vertical slice is currently in production and to share with you the amazing work that our pixel artist (@PieGlitched on Twitter) has created. They’ve done such a great job interpreting the characters and world of our game in their wonderful pixel art style.

We’re super excited to finally share their beautiful work and the intended visual direction that the game will be heading in!

2 Likes

Hey there folks,

Production of the game’s vertical slice is on track and continues at pace with the pixel artist ( @PieGlitched on Twitter) creating awesome character animations for the game’s protagonist Gerel. As well as videos showcasing their fantastic animation work below, also shared is a video showing the animations in-engine in a test level.

We’re on the way to wrapping up Gerel’s animation set and will soon be diving into the process of turning the pixel artist’s environment mockups into assets that can be used to build levels.

Until the next update!

2 Likes

Hey folks, back with another update!

Our pixel artist (@PieGlitched on Twitter!) has finished up the last batch of animations for Gerel’s animation set for the vertical slice and is now diving into the first batch of environment tilesets and related decorative assets.

The new animations have been compiled into a couple videos ( The energy attack animation is particularly awesome!) and a video showing them in action in a test level has also been recorded.

Won’t you check them out and let us know what you think?

Gerel - Animations Batch 4

Gerel - Animations Batch 5

Gerel - New Animations In-Engine

Until the next update!

2 Likes

​Hey there folks,

Just wanted to share a quick development update with you all.

Production of the game’s vertical slice is on coming along nicely and is on track for completion end of Q1.
In the meantime we’re beyond thrilled to share with you this video, showcasing the beautiful pixel art and animation work that our pixel artist (@PieGlitched on Twitter) has created for the game in action in the engine.

Until the next update!​

2 Likes

Greetings @Overwrite_Games, thanks for sharing the progress of your creation "Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire here in the Unreal Engine Forums! I see now that the main protagonist’s name is indeed Gerel! Kudos to your concept artist (Dogyeong Lee) and pixel artist (PleGlitched) for their helping hand in creating the lovely artwork and designs in your creation. Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire is looking spectacular overall so far, and I, for one, can’t wait to see further updates!

1 Like

Hey there @Zezkaii , thanks for taking a look at the project thread and thank you for the kind words! A lot of credit goes to Dogyeong Lee and PieGlitched for shaping and breathing life into it.

It’s been a journey getting from the initial prototype to this point where we’re well on the way to a full vertical slice, I honestly could not have asked for better teammates. There’s a lot more to come and I’ll definitely be sharing it here for those who are interested in following development :v:

2 Likes

The pleasure is all mine! I can tell from the screenshots, smooth gameplay, and unique character/level designs that the entirety of your team is dedicated to making "Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire a wondrous experience! Kudos to everyone for a job well done so far, and again, I’m looking forward to what you share next! :grin:

1 Like

Hey there folks,
Got some big news and updates coming soon that the team and I are very excited to share!

In the meantime, I wanted to share the official Steam page for the game with you.
If you’d also like to stay updated through Steam or show your support, you can do so by following or wishlisting the game on the page linked below.

Until the next update! :v:

1 Like

I’ve added “Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire” to my wishlist! I can’t wait to see the exciting news/updates you and your team have to share and congrats to you guys on making it this far in development! Keep up the great work. :grin:

1 Like

Hey folks!

There’s a development update coming soon, in the meantime though…

We’re super excited to announce that our game has received an Epic MegaGrant!

Thank you so much Epic Games and Unreal Engine for choosing to support us! It’s a massive help in bringing Gerel: Against The Corvus Empire to life!

2 Likes

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! :clap:t4: :partying_face: :confetti_ball: Yes! Yes!

We’re so happy for you! This says so much regarding your creativity, hard work, and determination! Thank you so much for developing something Unreal! We eagerly anticipate your development update!

2 Likes

Hey there folks,

Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement @Get_DOVAH_it , it really means a lot!

It’s been an exciting and busy 2022, we’re getting back into the swing of posting weekly updates.

Weekly Updates

We’ve onboarded a new team member recently to assist with game and level design, they’ve been doing a great job and we can’t wait to share their work with you. In the meantime here are a few highlights from our progress!

Who turned out the lights?!

Dense forests and deep caves will have limited visibility in the game.

Take a deep breath!

Gerel can’t swim but is able to move about underwater, don’t forget to come up for air!

Look out below!

Rolling movables can be helpful or harmful and used against enemy NPCs and the player alike.

Stay a while and listen!

Friendly NPCs will have quests and stories to share with the player.

What does the scouter say about his power level?!

Health bars will indicate the health of enemy NPCs, letting you know the impact your attacks have on them and how much health they have left.

Hey Presto!

Some hidden areas will be more obvious than others…however, both will provide opportunities for exploration and traversal challenges.

I’m ready for my close-up!

Updated camera functionality to allow for zooming in and out at pre-defined points, showing the player more or less of their surroundings.

Steam Store Page

‘Gerel: Against the Corvus Empire’ now has a steam page, if you like what you see and want to be notified of development updates on Steam, please do consider following and wishlisting the project on the link below:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1417570/Gerel_Against_The_Corvus_Empire/

That’s it for this week, can’t wait to share more in the next development update!

1 Like