Geometry partially "overwrites" previous geometry

I don’t know if that’s a bug or I just don’t understand it correctly.

At some point in the scenery building with geometry brushes, when there are too many geometry brushes on the map, they start to behave pretty oddly. When I try to add more geometry brushes, they partially overwrite a brush that is nearby. It happens in the “Add” mode, not in the “Subtract” mode. Here’s a visual representation:

1. I added a box geometry brush into the scene that is heavily populated with other brushes:

1. I added a cylinder brush near the box, notice how some parts of the box got removed:

1. I added a cone brush, the box disappears completely, the cylinder got broken, and the cone itself is not visible:

1. I deleted the cylinder brush and rotated the camera a bit, the box is not visible and eats the cone partially.

When I delete either the cone or the box, what is left seems fine from any angle. Also, sometimes when I copy-paste brushes, they overwrite what is “under” them, resulting in an empty texture.

What can I do about it?

It’s Additive, which means that the brush being added is going to replace the part it is overlapping. It’s not allowing the part of the previously placed mesh to exist because it’s adding to it, or merging with it, therein subtracting the part of the mesh that’s being added to…

The visibility aspect is to display how those brushes are overlapping and replacing / adding to create the new result. If you don’t want that to happen, try using non-bsp meshes and do merge operations to combine them together into a new mesh. I think it would be easier to all that in Blender or another 3D modeling application than in Unreal. But I understand it’s great to see the immediate results in the scene for different reasons.